Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 09:01 AM

Default I keep getting demolished by flushes

It seem like there is no way to protect my hands against them. There is usually 5-6 callers even to 4-6bb bets preflop. The problem is now when I hit a good but not monster hand I always find myself in a bad position. In order to price other hands out of their draw you have to bet so much that usually one of 2 things happen.

A) Only a better hand calls.
B) Multiple people call chasing various draws.

I can't seem to find a worthy bet on the flop. When most people are willing to call 1/2 to pot sized bets their calls become correct. If I do something crazy like bet 1.5 to 2x the pot then I usually find myself betting most of my stack waiting for a better hand to call. I apologize for my whining tone so prevalent int his post, but i just got reamed by these today.

The decisions just become so complicated I can't seem to find the right answers. It seems whatever I do results in trapping myself in a corner later. I think my strategies just aren't working for these types of games.

If you're playing NL100 and you get a flop of lets say
holding Ad Qd

Ah Ts 9s, when there is already $30 in the pot and 5 to act behind you, how can you play this hand?

Usually it goes something like bet 20-30, 2 callers.

($120) Turn 7s.

Now what? You have $65 left. I feel like now anything I do is wrong here.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: I keep getting demolished by flushes

I know this can be a problem. It made me post some desperate questions in the probability forum, because I could not believe I was being overrun by flushes all the time.

I now believe that there will always be times when people seem to be hitting every flush draw there is out there. It's just another form of statistical variance.

Anyway, all you can do is raise more, so they don't have odds to call. If they call anyway, good, they are making you a ton of money. But sometimes they are going to suck out on you. Just be glad that these flush draws are usually easy to spot.

IMO, when flop has two of the same suit and you are flatcalled on flop and turn, river brings third of that suit and your opponents suddenly wakes up and starts betting, it's time to drop the hand.

On to your example. If you see a flop holding AQ and it's 6-way, you didn't raise enough PF. These big cards can only be played for top pair against one or two opponents. You have to find an appropriate amount to raise preflop that will leave you with one or two callers. If you wanna limp with AQs in a 6-way pot, you are not playing the hand for top pair value. You are looking for two pair, a straight or the nut flush draw.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:07 PM

Why is there already $30 in the pot?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Excellent reply Bear,

Just the kind of information we newbies need.

Tony
Old 06-12-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is there already $30 in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im assuming he raised to 4. With 5 callers, thats 6*4= 24. Anyway, AQ OOP is not a good place to be, especially with 5 callers. 5 callers on a 4BB pf bet seems excessive, so if you find yourself at these tables a lot I guess just adjust your play(tighter with your raises, and get in cheap with your drawing hands). Call me weak, but if I happened to raise AQ pf and get all these callers pf and on the flop, Im shutting down.