Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 08:27 PM

Default TPTK is killing me. This hand made no sense to me.

No reads on villain. He hasnt done anything really stupid so far, so I did not know what to think about this hands. I am really having trouble with my TPTK hands. On one hand you dont want to inflate the pot, on the other hand you dont want them to draw out on you. How do you guys play these hands?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 ($52.35)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($65.58)</font>
MP2 ($49.5)
<font color="#C00000">MP3 ($62.65)</font>
CO ($38.75)
Button ($58.1)
SB ($29.25)
BB ($24.5)
UTG ($46.5)
UTG+1 ($50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($6.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP3 calls $5.

Turn: ($16.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($16.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $22.

Final Pot: $76.25

*do you call this?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: TPTK is killing me. This hand made no sense to me.

that six is scary but shouldn't have helped him unless he's real loose. any reads?

also if that 8$ was a blocking bet u shoulda folded to the raise.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:43 PM

why did you check turn? if you checked turn, planning on stop and go, then 3/4 pot the river at least. if you checked cuz u thought u could be losing, then why are u calling the reraise on river? your play is confusing.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:47 PM

I checked the turn planning on calling a bet. You would bloat this pot?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:51 PM

i'd rather bet the turn and check the river
Old 06-11-2005, 08:59 PM

I play it the same but bet $10 on the river. If he raises to $40 or so I probably fold. As it is it's a tough call.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:10 PM

I wouldn't have checked the turn, you're just inviting him to do what he did. I probably would have bet out $4-5-6, flop-turn-river, showing him all the way u have Ace-good kicker. Only hands that beat u are 10-10, A6 or A10, and 66. 33 shoulda been folded on the flop bet. From villians perspective, this would be a good way to get paid on his pocket 10's.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Can you elaborate? Half-potting the turn puts 65BB in the pot on the river, and (if I was MP) a check there would look to me like exactly what it is -- an out of position player who just woke up and realized the pot is bigger than his hand. I'm extremely curious to know what you do if MP fires a half-pot bet there.

Likewise, I'm curious to know what the turn bet is meant to accomplish. Charging the draws doesn't seem worth it; if you're ahead, he's been drawing to 2-5 outs and you charged enough to cover that on the flop. A better hand is not going to fold. A worse hand, that may call the river after a checked turn for a showdown, could fold the turn because he's worried about being set in on the next card.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:50 PM

I think checking the turn is fine. I agree, you don't want to bloat the pot out of position.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Can you elaborate? Half-potting the turn puts 65BB in the pot on the river, and (if I was MP) a check there would look to me like exactly what it is -- an out of position player who just woke up and realized the pot is bigger than his hand. I'm extremely curious to know what you do if MP fires a half-pot bet there.

Likewise, I'm curious to know what the turn bet is meant to accomplish. Charging the draws doesn't seem worth it; if you're ahead, he's been drawing to 2-5 outs and you charged enough to cover that on the flop. A better hand is not going to fold. A worse hand, that may call the river after a checked turn for a showdown, could fold the turn because he's worried about being set in on the next card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was exactly my line of thought. Another turn bet would not accomplish anything to me. His check behind made me rule out 1010. It could have been a slow play, but did not seem too likely to me. When he rr the river, I thought there is no way this guy has a 6. I really thought he would turn over and Ace, trying to extract more money on the river thinking my turn check was weak. Anyway, I called and he turned over Q6o.