Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Default a 6-12 hand

Game is 6-12 at a 9 handed table at my local card club. Hero is UTG+2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villian is MP1. I've been playing with him for about an hour and have seen the following: he limped with AQo once in EP, raised with TT on the button, bet/raised with middle pair or better, called down to the river with overcards without the proper odds, and not play his draws strong enough. He is somewhat steaming too bc he hasn't won a pot in a while.

PF: UTG calls, UTG+1 fold, Hero calls, villian raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop (10.5 SB): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, Villian calls, Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn (6.5 BB): A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero bets, Villian raises, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River (10.5 BB): T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Villian calls.

Hows my line here. PF, i'm thinking AA-TT, AKs, or AK. On the flop his call tells me, AKs or AK, with so many opponnents I'm pretty sure he would raise with any pair or set. His turn raise all but confirms his holding for me.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: a 6-12 hand

You're in perfect position for a value checkraise on the flop.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Check raise/cap the flop unless he rountinely checks behind with overcards. I like the turn/river combo check raising the river is nice but that is a very scary card to him so just bet it.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 PM

Your line is bad. The flop checkraise should be automatic. I don't like the turn either - your aces may be good, but probably aren't, and you want UTG to tag along if betting means Villain will raise a better hand. Your equity is not so large that you welcome a raise, especially if Villain holds AQ. Check/call. On the river, you may be able to squeeze a checkraise, but it's high risk and not worth it - definitely lead the river, as played.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:10 PM

c/r flop, c/r river
Old 06-11-2005, 08:20 PM

Absent a read, the flop bet is awful. Checkraise here.

The turn is tricky; you don't want to give a free card to any of the other draws out there, so betting out is probably best. Notice if you checkraised the flop, then the villain might be afraid to raise his TP on the turn for fear that you have a straight, two pair, etc.

From your description of the villain, he bets too often and calls too often. So you might whiff on the river check-raise, but since it sounds like you expect he'll pay off every time it does work, I think it's slightly better than betting out.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:14 PM

yeah the more i think about it the more i hate my flop play. thats why i posted it. i think you all are right about the check-raise on the flop and a check call on the turn. given what I had seen from him during the hour there was no way he would bet that river, thats why i bet it.