Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: WPT: players that will never make final table again

Jay, I thought your play was fairly textbook which was just fine. I also felt that losing that early pot to Corey tightened you up considerably, but overall I'd be very satisfied with a 2nd place finish against that final table. With some more B&M experience under your belt I'm confident you'll make a couple more strong performances in future tournaments.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: WPT: players that will never make final table again

Thanks Hold...

I wanted to say something in defense of Danny Nguyen... Throughout the whole tournament he threw his chips around and made bets that required other players to commit a lot of their chips. Is that classic "battle of wits" poker? Is that a solid logical/mathematical approach to the game? Of course not. BUT In my opinion it was great strategical poker, playing in a manner that took much of the mind-games out of the game and put the onus on the cards to decide the outcome. Just listen to Gus Hansen's closing remarks on the episode... about it being a crazy table and putting him off balance a bit. If you're up against one of the best players in the world are you going to try to play the game on his level (and fail) or are you going to mix it up and try to get him off his game? Lets see you critics get in there against Gus and last a few hours.

I think Danny got some cards, some lucky cards, but he played consistently all tournament and was in control of the final table even when he was short-stacked. I give him full credit for the victory and do not doubt we will see him at another final table.

Cheers,

Jay