Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Help with mid pocket pairs

Hands like 66-99 often give me trouble, because after the flop I never know when to stop being aggressive, and even then if I should call down or not. Take this hand for example, BB was fairly TAG, UTG +1 was loose passive.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

This was an easy call in SB right, but not worth a raise

Flop: (4 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Easy bet I think, because I probably have the best hand and I definitely want to protect my hand but I cannot count on a CR as I doubt anyone will bet. So I think leading out is best.

Turn: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Ouch, an overcard, but I still think my hand is good, as I put BB on the flush draw and UTG +1 on a pair which connected with the flop.

River: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.

Another nasty card, but there are still many hands with which I beat and that call, so I bet for value having had no resistance so far.

Final Pot: 10 BB

What do you think?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Help with mid pocket pairs

Nice hand. I might check call the river, but that's proably not right.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:50 AM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

There are times I might check-call the river, but mostly I play it just like this. I would be tempted to check-call if my read is that UTG+1 is loose enough to be hanging around w overcards just to see if they hit.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Well played.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:13 PM

I was thinking about check calling the river, but I was pretty sure neither of them would raise, and it could easily get checked through if I had the best hand.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Does anyone attempt a check/raise on the flop? I realize that we can't count on anyone to bet, but that isn't so terrible in this situation. Hero's equity can change a lot on the turn even if he has the best hand right now, and the reverse implied odds of leading w/ a weak pair into a field of 3 opponents are not too pretty. Ideally it will check to the button who will bet,allowing Hero to face the field w/ 2 cold.

If not, you have a bigger equity edge on a safe turn card and can make your opponents calls more incorrect when you take the lead.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone attempt a check/raise on the flop? I realize that we can't count on anyone to bet, but that isn't so terrible in this situation. Hero's equity can change a lot on the turn even if he has the best hand right now, and the reverse implied odds of leading w/ a weak pair into a field of 3 opponents are not too pretty. Ideally it will check to the button who will bet,allowing Hero to face the field w/ 2 cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bad idea. A bet now makes the pot 5 SB. Players with two overcards need better than 5:1 to call (especially if they don't hold a heart, because Hero has the BDFD against them). Why give up a free card if Hero can make them chase unprofitably? And if they fold, it increases the chances that Hero's hand will be best by the end (every overcard folded increases the chances of winning UI by about 7%).

I'm not as worried about the flush or the straight because it's a small field. Waiting for the turn is really a big pot situation when Hero can't protect his hand on the flop.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:14 PM

Fine hand. Might raise pf, although OOP I am less apt to, still it's not a bad idea.

Rest of it is fine, don't be scared of one little turn overcard. Or another on the river.

To quote Clarkmeister: "People like to call. I like to let them."

They'll show you tons of crap here.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To quote Clarkmeister: "People like to call. I like to let them."

[/ QUOTE ]

vn
Old 06-11-2005, 02:35 PM

The actions are OK, but not sure about the reasoning you gave on the turn:

[ QUOTE ]
I put BB on the flush draw and UTG +1 on a pair which connected with the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you put them on those particular hands?