Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Set vs color-flop

Well, here it is, my first hand here. I guess Ill get some "use the search". I think that I sometimes gets a little passive or weak. Is this play to passive? I was somewhat scared by all the harts and the plan was not to raise again until river if no other hart came up, but then I was a little to scared of the AA.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 06-11-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Set vs color-flop

It's unlikely he flopped a flush. The only typical 3 betting hand from the SB he could have is AKs. He probably has K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kx or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Ax or maybe just KK or AA no heart. You played it well. You could cap the flop or just call the 3 bet then raise the turn (where you will now have ten outs even if behind.)

You should include some kind of player read. The above is how I would play against a TAG but against a LAG I would cap and put in a turn raise.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:29 AM

This is too weak, you're nearly always ahead on this flop and even if you're not you have 10 outs with two chances to hit.

Either cap the flop or call planning to raise a non-heart turn.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:33 AM

Cap the flop, if he leads the turn, you get a lot of information from that. I'd say Call down if he leads, or put in one more raise somewhere.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:35 AM

You played this very weak. You have to get some raises in somewhere. Especially that river. You say "he might have AA," but what if he has AK? He likely has a second-best hand here that he will still call with. Raise!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap the flop, if he leads the turn, you get a lot of information from that. I'd say Call down if he leads, or put in one more raise somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Even if a heart comes on the turn or river, you have 10 outs on both the turn and river to make a full house. Get the money in on the flop with the best hand and see how much he likes his hand on the turn.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:24 PM

Not to nitpick, but you have 7 outs on the turn, 10 on the river, for a likelihood of filling up 1/3 of the time from the flop on.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:28 PM

cap the flop. raise the turn. call down after that,
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 PM

I agree with the common opinion here. Certainly cap the flop and raise the turn. If he 3-bets the turn, check/call. If he calls, you have a decision. Remember, you have a whopping 10 outs to fill up on the river...including the magical 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]