Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Boring 10-25 River Decision

[ QUOTE ]
Check -- only because he's "really bad."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-11-2005, 04:11 AM

If you're going to bet the river, it seems like you have to bet a very small amount that a frustrated 33 might call OR an amount that might induce a bluff -- say a $400 bet that might make the SB think he can push you off the hand for $1k more. Obviously if you bet anything you must call a reraise. It's a weird check for quad eights out of position after showing such strength on the turn -- usually I wouldn't expect to see an eight here.

I do wonder why you don't reraise the turn -- unless the SB is on a stone cold bluff, why not strike while the iron is hot with a $800 reraise? Bad players are more likely to pay off when they are in the moment.

If you do put him on a stone bluff, then make a small bet on the river to try and induce another bluff.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:13 AM

I pushed, he called. He had T8o. Bah.

On the turn I thought he had most likely an 8, somewhat likely an AK, or a small chance of a weaker King.

When he checked the river, I pondered checking for a few seconds, but just couldn't see how he checks an 8 there.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:15 AM

I told you you should've checked.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to bet the river, it seems like you have to bet a very small amount that a frustrated 33 might call OR an amount that might induce a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is not a sophisticated player. He will not bluff checkraise that river. He will, however, pay off 100% w/ a King.

[ QUOTE ]
I do wonder why you don't reraise the turn -- unless the SB is on a stone cold bluff, why not strike while the iron is hot with a $800 reraise? Bad players are more likely to pay off when their in the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has an 8, I can stack him on any river except an 8 or probably a King. If he has a King, he might get away on the turn to a reraise, but I'm likely to get more money out of him on the river if I just call. And if he's just bluffing, he could fire again on the river. There's also a chance that he folds a flush draw which would have gotten there on the river. The only downside I see is if he's going to call all-in w/ a flush draw but check-fold if he misses.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:24 AM

I read the results, so this post is probably result oriented, but the line of thought that he seemed to have is, "he called my reraise on turn...he must have a good hand..and if i check this...he will probably bet it."
If he is the kinda player who tries to push people off pots, then this river check is not that horrible of a move...i mean, he pot reraised turn, and u called...his check could be construed as giving up on the hand
(which is probably what you thought of it, im guessing)
I mean your turn call is extremely scary, no?
Old 06-11-2005, 05:51 AM

Here are the worse hands that will call you.

AA, Kx, and thats it.

33 is almost not going to call you.

just check it and say nice hand to the nice fella when he shows you (8/dick)

Think of the turn action, the only hand that would come over the top of you like that is an 8 with a very nice kicker like an Ace or 33.

Think of the hands on the turn he'd raise come over the top with.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:51 AM

I guess his logic on the river check is decent. It gets a busted flush draw to bluff, and surely and K or AA will bet here.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:37 PM

-
Old 06-11-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of the turn action, the only hand that would come over the top of you like that is an 8 with a very nice kicker like an Ace or 33.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, that statement is incorrect. Of course, those are the most likely hands. However, if you were to spend some time playing in the ultra-aggressive higher-limit NL games, you would realize that the range of hands that give big action is very, very wide.