Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 PM

Default calling to split

£5/10 NLHE

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP, open raise to £40.
SB calls.
BB (45/7) re-raises to £100.
I call, SB call.

Flop:
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets £190, I call.

Turn:
4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
pot is £680
BB bets allin £496
I ?

Comments are appreciated, thank you.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: calling to split

This is not a split....it's either you crushed or him free rolling you.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: calling to split

Huh? Crushed or freerolled, split impossible? Hero is crushed by AAA (1 combo), crushed by QQQ (3 combos), freerolled by A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (1 combo), and splitting with the other AKo's/AKs's (5 combos). So he is just as likely to be chopping as freerolled/crushed if this is Villain's hand range. I think this is a good, tight hand distro, btw. I don't think the 7% PFRer is reraising from the blinds over two players with AQ or 88, nor is he pushing the turn with less than AK.

I guess it's a math problem then. For your 496 turn investment, you get back an average of (496 + 340) * (5/10 + 1/10 * 35/44) = 484.5, so you lose.

If you think he's on a bluff even occasionally, then that could swing it to a clear call, but I don't see you facing a bluff here. But if he sometimes bluffs big, then the call EV is close enough to neutral to make a call worthwhile; maybe you are facing a bluff here, and at least you show that you won't be pushed around. (Although calling with AK here isn't "stubborn" in that same way that calling with A2 or QJ is, so it doesn't even do that much for your stubborn image.)

If he would sometimes flat call preflop with AK, then that obviously makes things even worse for you.