Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 06:48 PM

Default 3/6 Hand Blind Defence

Ok Villians a 37/13/12(Sd%) player, typical lag. Hes been stealing of me constantly and i have no reason to suspect otherwise.

My Flop check raise was to force out ace-high hands, unfortunately hes as loose as he is retarded and decided to 3-bet me, any ideas for the rest of the hand. Also i think 3-betting him preflop would have been a better line.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero....
Old 06-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: 3/6 Hand Blind Defence

[ QUOTE ]
I also i think 3-betting him preflop would have been a better line.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, your cards are pretty, but they aren't much. I"d probably fold the turn u/i. Next time you find a biggie in this spot play it the same way. If its a draw heavy board cap and lead. If its drawless check-raise.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:52 PM

You're not going to fold an A-high on this flop with a checkraise. A strong ace may even 3-bet you here. I've noticed that many aggressive players, picking up on the flop bluff-checkraise line, have begun doing this on ragged flops with overs. Consider a 3-bet preflop.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 PM

I think it's a pretty easy 3bet preflop against a player with such low raising standards.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:20 PM

You should have 3-bet preflop, lead the flop. Fold u/i on the turn to any aggression, otherwise keep betting.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 PM

In general you really shouldn't be calling open raises in the SB. You're goal should be to get the pot HU, especially with a hand like KQo that you would much rather have HU than 3 way and out of position. Also, I wouldn't even consider just calling preflop unless I knew a lot about the BB as well as the raiser.

On the flop it depends a lot on your history. You say he's a majot LAG and has been stealing your blinds relentlessly, so putting some pressure on him may be a good idea if you haven't done so yet. Once he 3 bets I'd call and reevaluate my position on the turn...but it's looking pretty bleak.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 PM

Raising preflop is better.

Your flop check-raise is pretty hopeless. Do you think most LAG opponents are scared by a 732 rainbow board? I'd call the flop bet and check-fold the turn unimproved. (I'm not saying that your flop check-raise is necessarily bad, as you still might fold him often enough to make it worthwhile, but I'm just pointing out that this board isn't very scary, so that reduces your folding equity. And KQ is a good hand but it has relatively little showdown value UI, even against a LAG.)

If he goes to showdown 12% of the time, then it looks like either the table is completing giving in to him every time, or he will fold if you continue to apply pressure. (Or most likely: your sample size is too small.) You can consider check-raising the turn as a complete bluff if he folds a lot. But against most lags, check-fold the turn UI and be done with this hand.