Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 08:00 PM

Default moving players in multi table tourneys

hi guys

me and a few mates have set up a poker society at our uni and will be running a weekly multi-table tournament, but i wont bore you with the details. just wondering that as players get knocked out and the amount of tables decrease, how do you decide which player leaves an near empty table to fill another table? we arent sure on the procedure and want to know how to do things properly.

cheers for the help

chester
Old 06-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: moving players in multi table tourneys

www.thetournamentdirector.net

Download this donationware program, make a donation, and enjoy. I'm not affiliated with this program at all, just a happy user. It does everything automatically for you including keeping tables balanced.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:15 PM

I play a 30 person tourney at Harrah's in KC. When they need to move a player, they take the person who will be the big blind next and move him to the position farthest away from the big blind on the new table. This way they get some time to adjust to a new table before they have to put any money in the pot.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just wondering that as players get knocked out and the amount of tables decrease, how do you decide which player leaves an near empty table to fill another table? we arent sure on the procedure and want to know how to do things properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the TD software as well (prefer the Poker Clock though), but the movement of the players by this program is random. Some may prefer this, but I believe it's more important not to allow a player (especially later in the tourney) to skip the blinds, which happens some of the time using this method. Just the opposite could also occur, where a player that was just in the blinds at one table could land in the blinds at the new table if it's left to a random decision as to who moves.

We have always used the method of:
A. When one table is 2 or more players less (Table A) than the table with the most players
(Table C), someone needs to be forced to move to keep the tables balanced.

B. Determine the seat at Table A that is to be occupied (empty seat) positioned from the button.

C. The player in the same seat positioned from the button on Table C is the "forced move" player.

This way, no one skips or double pays the blinds when being moved. However, if the tourney gets too large to manage this way, then a random generator such as the function with the TD software would probably work best.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:34 PM

we just use a rule we got somewhere, the player from the "heavy" table that has to be moved comes from the player due to next post the big blind. we move him to the first open seat to the left of the BB in the table to be moved to. Usually they get a few extra hands before the blind. This kinda makes up for disadvantage of moving to a table of new players.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I use the TD software as well (prefer the Poker Clock though), but the movement of the players by this program is random. Some may prefer this, but I believe it's more important not to allow a player (especially later in the tourney) to skip the blinds, which happens some of the time using this method. Just the opposite could also occur, where a player that was just in the blinds at one table could land in the blinds at the new table if it's left to a random decision as to who moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to move random but I'm going to do a position move from now on, due to bitching. I'm an odds guy, I know that for every time I get moved right into the blind, I'll get moved right into the CO. Every time I'm UTG, I'm also getting CO -1... most people don't see this and complain when they get the "extra" blind.

Screw it... I'm going to make it a must move for UTG, action freezes just like hand for hand, clock stops. Whoever is supposed to post the blind on table A goes to table B and posts it, sitting in the appropriate spot... even if those lazy bums have to slide around the table some. I guess someone will then bitch that whoever was going to be BB gets a "free hand". I think I'll kill that person's cards for 10 minutes, just for being a bastard.

"Bastard penalty, 10 minutes!"