Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Default 1/2 - AQo w/2nd pair and NFBD

BB and UTG1 are both seem to be fairly loose.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 Handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero???
Old 06-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: 1/2 - AQo w/2nd pair and NFBD

Know anything about the CO? I'd check and maybe call and maybe raise.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-10-2005, 03:27 PM

I'd be tempted to check and call one bet and re-evaluate on the turn.
Of course this depends on the CO, but agaist an average player, i'd really like to see the turn
Old 06-10-2005, 03:28 PM

My first instinct was to bet here and hope CO raises leaving the field with 2 cold, but I think checking and calling is actually better. It allows us to hopefully get to a cheap showdown, plus it can set up a very profitable check/raise scenario later in the hand should we hit one of our draws.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:34 PM

Read on CO?

Anyway, I check.

If the typical 3-betting range is AA-JJ and AK, you're in really bad shape on this flop. Ingoring the backdoor flush:

AA: 3 combos (2 outs)
KK: 3 combos (~0 outs)
QQ: 1 combo (~0 outs)
JJ: 6 combos (ahead)
AK: 9 combos (2 outs)

22 total hands. We are ahead 27% of the time (6/22).

The remaining 73% of the time (against the other 16 hands), we have an average of: (2*3 + 2*9)/16 = 1.5 outs.

This hand is pretty crazy. It looks like the right play against a normal player (who would check JJ on the turn), is to check call here and check fold the turn unless we hit an ace, queen, or heart.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:41 PM

I think I would bet here and see what CO does. If he raises than hopefully that will knock out BB and UTG+1 and it gives you the information that he still feels strong. If he calls then I start thinking that he might have something like TT, JJ, AJ, ATs, etc that missed. If it comes back raised from CO then I'd call and make a decision about how to proceed once I see the turn card.

I'm pretty new to the game and just finished reading SSHE (but need to read it again). Please comment and let me know any mistkes in my strategy.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:09 PM

I'm thinking bet. If CO raises, he will help to blow away any gutshot or backdoor str8 draws (unless BB and UTG+1 are very loose), or even possibly a very weak king. If he does not (and does not raise on a later street) then I would guess he had a pocket pair lower than Q's.
If CO does re-raise, peel the turn and go from there.

Watch out for BB and UTG+1, if either of them calls, esp a raise, there should be warning bells for a draw.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:34 PM

Dangit, I missed the CO 3-bet because it wasn't highlighted and I'm lazy sometimes.

Anyway, some people here say to bet in hopes that the CO will raise to knock out the others, but that's just paying extra for a hand we'll likely have to fold anyway. If you pick up the flush draw on the turn it could be an interesting time for a stop-n-go because we'll have ~7-9 outs to the flush, and a chance to improve if an A or (preferably) a Q hits.