Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 01:34 PM

Default General 6-max *Post-Flop* Strategy (Newbie)

I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and I haven't seen too many general, semi-comprehensive treatments of post-flop 6-max play. I've read Nemesis' newbie post and a few other starting hand charts and such, but almost all of them focus on pre-flop strategy and aggression. You win and lose most of your money from post-flop play, so I'm not confident marching into a new kind of game with only a chart and the imperative to be more aggressive. I'm also aware of Miller's 2+2 mag article from a few months ago with the blind equity thing. The only thing I've seen approximating what I'm looking for is that series of posts by another (former) newbie with example hands (sorry I'm at work and can't take the time to search [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), but I'm looking for more general strategy.

It's the current thing to tell neophytes like myself that 6-max is just like full ring with EP-MP1 folding, but just from lurking here and watching some 5/10 and 10/20 games (though I'm at smaller stakes than that) I can see that's not necessarily the case. You put your opponent on a wider range of hands even if he raises (but how wide) than you would in a tight ring game. You call down a *lot* more. Your post-flop AF goes up, as do your opponents'. And so on and so forth. If I missed a big famous post about this, sorry. Feel free to redirect me. And incidentally, someone should sticky a HUSH FAQ.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: General 6-max *Post-Flop* Strategy (Newbie)

It's not that easy to create guidelines for postflop play. Reads go a long way. My advice would be to just jump into 0.5/1 (or whatever stakes you feel comfortable at) and start experimenting, posting hands, asking questions, answering to other peoples hands etc.

Kung Fu Hustle is goot.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Effort?? Thinking??

I don't think you understand. My goal is to play with absolutely no risk and win insane amounts of money with little or no effort by using charts and easy-to-understand guidelines. Thanks, though!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: General 6-max *Post-Flop* Strategy (Newbie)

If your at low stakes it a mistake to watch higher stakes.

Higher stakes are alot more aggressive, the same aggression wouldnt work so well at lower limits.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Effort?? Thinking??

Try these:

Hypermegachi's 6-Max Texas Hold'em Limit Guide

Short-handed Hold'Em by Jason Pohl

Also, "Weighing the Odds in Hold’em Poker" by King Yao (who posts occasionally on this forum and is always praised for his advice) has a few chapters dedicated to SH Limit play that are very good.

You can get it at Amazon through this link: Weighing the Odds in Hold’em Poker

Hope that helps.

- Tony
Old 06-10-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you understand. My goal is to play with absolutely no risk and win insane amounts of money with little or no effort by using charts and easy-to-understand guidelines. Thanks, though!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was that easy everyone would do it!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was that easy everyone would do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean they DON'T?!?!?!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try these:

Hypermegachi's 6-Max Texas Hold'em Limit Guide

Short-handed Hold'Em by Jason Pohl

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.