Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Final Table - Two Pair Line Vs. Maniac

Live Final Table. Blinds are extremely small relative to the stacks: 3000/6000 with 1000 antes. 5 handed. Villian is extremely aggresive; borderline maniac. I think this is pretty standard, but thoughts on all streets are welcome.

Hero: 508,000
Villian: 557,000

UTG Folds, UTG2 Folds, Villian calls on the button, SB calls, Hero checks the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop: (23,000) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets 15,000, Villian calls, SB folds.

Turn: (53,000) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villian bets 20,000, Hero calls.

River: (93,000) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villian bets 60,000, Hero calls.

Nice final pot: 213,000
Old 06-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Final Table - Two Pair Line Vs. Maniac

If this guy is a maniac, I raise the river at least 3x his bet. Why play like you might be beat? Sure, you could be, but it doesn't seem likely.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:35 AM

Perfectly played. Don't raise the river because he doesn't call with a hand that you beat.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 AM

he wouldn't even call a straight raise? why wouldn't he?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 AM

I dont know if he doesnt call with a hand you can beat. The Villan played this hand like a weak Ace. The question is, did he pair his X card. Even if he didnt, he must call a min raise. There is a very good chance that the call is the correct play here, but I dont think it is a no brainer. It depends mostly on what kind of maniac this guy is.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if he doesnt call with a hand you can beat. The Villan played this hand like a weak Ace. The question is, did he pair his X card. Even if he didnt, he must call a min raise. There is a very good chance that the call is the correct play here, but I dont think it is a no brainer. It depends mostly on what kind of maniac this guy is.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what I put him on too...Ax. And I completely agree with your post.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a weak ace and didn't pair his X card, he either folds or pushes, and you can't call a push. If he did pair his X card, he always pushes (and that's why you can't call a push in case 1).

The problem with making a small raise is that you reopen the betting with a hand that can't handle a reraise.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:01 AM

I understand the game theory logic behind your point. I also think you are probably right. Just trying to play devil's advocate. I am not completely sold that he will fold or push with AX that is only a single pair. Calling another 60k wont cripple him here, I think a large % of the time he calls.

For instance, if I am Villan with AX single pair,and am aware of my maniac image. The correct play would be to call the min raise getting apx 5-1 on my call. I dont want to push, b/c I will only get called when I am beat.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a weak ace and didn't pair his X card, he either folds or pushes

[/ QUOTE ]

why on earth would Ax reraise instead of calling?

[ QUOTE ]
and you can't call a push

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is extremely aggresive; borderline maniac

[/ QUOTE ]

your comment might make sense against a different opponent, but not here.

i think hero needs to play this hand much faster, and be looking to get all-in.

i'd c/r a very aggro button. given the bet, i'd c/r the turn. an aggro villain might read this as a scared Kx hand and try to move you off it with a flush draw or 8x or whatever he has. check/calling the turn is too passive imo b/c there are a lot of draws out. and then i would c/r the river and pay off a push.

you have a very strong hand 5-handed against a "borderline maniac" - get the chips in.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 AM

I'm not one hundred percent sure what I would do in this situation but I'd sure be looking for a pot bigger than 200k vs a maniac. This is why we get into the hands against maniacs, to stack them.