Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Bad play on all streets, difficult call on the river... help me out

Interpoker 50$NL

Full ring, fishy table. Villain is sitting directly to my right. He's seeing 80% of flops, picking up a lot of pots without having to be too agressive, as table is very weak.

A few hands ago, this happened: villain minraises the 0.50$ blind to 1$. I re-raise with AQ to 3$. BB calls, villain calls. Flop is rags, both check, I bet 5$. BB folds, villain calls. Turn and river are more rags. Villain checks twice, I check behind. He shows K7 and I take it down.

Next hand. He minraises again, I re-raise again with JTo. I wanna play more pots with this guy because he seems to be paying off. My reraise gets five (5!) callers, he pushes for about 20$, all fold.

On to the hand I wanna talk about. I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. 3 folds, 1 call, 3 folds, villain completes SB.

Flop (1.50$): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain bets 0.50, I minraise, MP folds, villain calls.

Turn (3.50$): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet 2$, he calls.

River (7.50$): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
He checks, I bet 4$, he pushes all-in. It's 23$ for me to call.

I think I played this hand horrible on all streets, feel free to point out exactly how horrible. What do you put him on and do you call the river?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Bad play on all streets, difficult call on the river... help me out

Raise more on the flop, bet more on the turn. Check behind on the river.
Also, I think you have to fold.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:02 AM

In hands where you want him to fold you bet big, and in hands when you want him to call, you minraise.

He has 67/7T and you call and get stacked.

Make it 2.50 on the flop
When he calls pot is 6.50. Bet 5 on the turn. Pot now 16.50. Check behind the river because pretty much all the draws got there now, and he isnt likely to call you with a worse hand.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it 2.50 on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea I know, that minraise was horrible. I cursed when I pushed that damn raise-button without entering an amount to raise.

[ QUOTE ]
He has 67/7T and you call and get stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
In hands where you want him to fold you bet big, and in hands when you want him to call, you minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, is that advice or are you establishing a fact?

[ QUOTE ]
Make it 2.50 on the flop
When he calls pot is 6.50. Bet 5 on the turn. Pot now 16.50. Check behind the river because pretty much all the draws got there now, and he isnt likely to call you with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds good.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Bad play on all streets, difficult call on the river... help me ou

This is not the kind of hand you want to encourage action with IMHO.

Flop: minraise is terrible. Bet at least the size of the pot.
Turn: I might bet 2/3 to full pot.
River: that check is a gift with this board. I check behind and see if MHIG.

On my good days, I don't call thie river the way it was played. If player is as loose and aggressive as you say, his play looks a lot like a set or straight, or even two pr. I doubt he checks the nuts here, so I'm thinking he has a freak 2 pair that beats you like J9 or J8 or a small set.

-salloch
Old 06-10-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Results and conclusion

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking so hard about what he could be holding that my time ran out and my hand was folded. The way this hand was played out, I couldn't see what I was beating except Jx, and I don't think he would checkraise that. He mucked.

So the better line would be something like:
Raise flop to 2$, pot turn, check behind on river.
Agreed?