Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Simple AK question

Middle of a 200+ MTT.
You have a big stack, around 5k.
Blinds 25/50.
AKs UTG, 4x the BB to 200.
One caller, with a 1.5K stack. Caller is a mediocre player.
Flop is 266 rainbow.
You bet 2/3 pot, 300. He calls
Turn is 6. Board 2666

Do you bet?? How much??
Old 06-10-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Simple AK question

In my experience most of the time, depending on the skill level/trickiness of your opponent, they either have:

1. Any pocket pair and are really happy with that flop. You could try to represent a larger pair but almost every opponent will gladly call you. I've seen it happen a ton of times when the guy with AK pushes all-in with ace high and gets knocked out.

2. are slightly fishy and called your continuation bet with
random big cards usually with an ace. On a flop like that it really doesn't look you caught any piece of it and they don't want to give the pot away. Usually another bet will take down the pot in this case.

3. They like to call raises with terrible cards and actually hit the flop (very unlikely) although 56 suited may be a possiblity if you have seen your opponent make tricky moves like that before.

So most of the time you are beat here. I think most of the time you are better off checking and then folding if he bets. I'd probably bet again only if you think your opponent is both calling with overcards _AND_ aggressive enough to try and bluff you. Otherwise checking is much better.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Simple AK question

Ok. that's what I thought. But I am pretty aggressive/stupid and I bet the pot, and he pushed for like a few hundred more and showed QQ. River was a K. Go Fish.