Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:31 PM

Default WSOP non-smokers beware

I should preface this by saying I’m a pretty strong anti-smoking guy, not crazy but somewhere in the 80 percentile.

I usually play in 3-4 poker tournaments a year. My preference is no limit re-buy hold-em. Monday night I made a late decision to try and play in Wednesdays WSOP $1,000 tournament(steep for me). My plan was to arrive Tuesday with $1400, sign-up for the tournament and then play in a side game with the $400 and hope to win a 2nd buy-in. After driving seven hours from Ca. I was told at the front desk that my room rate was predicated on my entering tomorrows tournament and that I needed to prove I entered or the rate would be $60 dollars higher. After a brisk 15 minute walk to the tournament area, a 15 minute wait to sign-up, a 15 minute walk back to the front desk, I was given my suite at the Rio Suites hotel at the promised rate. Trams from the hotel entrance to tournament area would not be a bad idea.

I took 15 minutes in the room, another 15 minute walk back to the tournament area and I was ready to win my re-buy or die of exhaustion, whichever came first. The players from Tuesdays tournament were on break and the smokers were puffing away in the halls outside the tournament room. There was no ventilation and the air quality in the halls was absolutely brutal. I realized that Wednesdays tournament would have at least twice as many people and leaving the tournament room for the bathroom breaks would be really uncomfortable. They have several free convention rooms across from the tournament area. Why not make one of them the smoking room and let people breathe in the halls

I decided to save my $400, I took the 15 min walk back to my suite took a shower and ordered room service. On Wednesday I lasted thru the first two hours without re-buying. The break was even worse then I'd imagine, the hallways just reaked of smoke. I got up to $4200 in the third hour when my Jacks lost all-in to AQ suited, queen on the river. I was almost happy. I have to whiz once in a while and don’t know how many breaks I could take in that atmosphere. There is a way to make the smokers and non-smokers happy. There is a way to accommodate people who don’t want to walk the long distance to the tournament area. The employees of the tournament and hotel staff were all friendly. The organizers will get away with whatever they can. I've been able to handle the smoking situation everywhere else.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: WSOP non-smokers beware

Hell, I SMOKE, and I still think this is very rude. I mean, is it that hard to force people to go 'outside' or into a seperate, isolated 'Smoker's Lounge'.

I feel you, man. Even though I smoke, I still hate walking through an inside hallway/room full of smoke. Even when I'm at a bar, sometimes - even in the middle of winter - I'll go outside to have a smoke because I think smoking is MUCH better and enjoyable with a little, uh, 'fresh air.'
Old 06-09-2005, 10:52 PM

It wasnt THAT bad.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:23 PM

I thought it was the smoke was intolerable during the breaks, but I'm a 47 year old non-smoker. Any other opinions? What about the tournament room location?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 PM

Am I the only one who thought it was funny that your preference is "No Limit Hold'em w/ Rebuys" but you didn't show up to the tournament with any rebuys?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any other opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

you're a nit.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thought it was funny that your preference is "No Limit Hold'em w/ Rebuys" but you didn't show up to the tournament with any rebuys?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you were not the only one.

So, then. The OP just likes the fact that the other players can rebuy? This is an odd perspective.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally I play in 2-3 hundred dollar tournaments and limit my re-buys to a $1,000. maximum investment. I like re-buys because you don’t have to play super tight in the beginning. But, I really can’t afford to go for two or three dimes in a tournament. I’m a small time guy by WSOP standards. There aren’t too many dime tournaments at the WSOP. One was for women, one was for seniors and one in a game I don’t play. So here was my only chance to play in a WSOP event. It was in the format I like best and if I got lucky in the side games I would have had that second buy-in. The whole prospect had me very excited. And, if my jacks held up, I could still be rocking and rolling. Without the smoke it would have all been a wonderful experience. I saw all the name players there and with a dime investment I could have taken down some serious money.

The tournament room is really is far away though.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:32 AM

That is a fair explination. I would have played event #2, though. It's only $500 more.