Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Player definitions

Hi,

New poker player here. I keep seeing hand posts that refer to how different players are TAG, LAG, LPP, etc.

I have a vague understanding of why Hero impressions of others are "tight" or "loose", "aggressive" or "passive". However, based on the responses that I see, it almost seems that there is are clear definitions as to what specific hands/decisions seems to make players one or the other.

Is there anything in any book (I have SSH) that clearly explains what I should look for to definitively classify players in one or the other category?

I do understand that the same player can easily switch modes throughout a session, but I would still like to know if there is some sort of chart (almost like a PF chart) that indicates that such'n'such a person is TAG, tight-passive, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Player definitions

I think this is explained a bit in Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players. You might also look at Psychology Of Poker for an in-depth discussion of player types.

Tight/Loose are used to described the number of hands a player plays. A tight player has high standards and doesn't play that many hands. A lose player plays more questionable hands.

Passive/Aggressive indicated how the player plays the hands. A passive player tends to check/call and an aggressive player tends to bet/raise.

So, a tight/aggressive player plays quality hands with lots of betting and raising. This is usually what we aspire to be. You can be aggressive because you usually have the best hand since you are tight.

A loose/aggressive player plays questionable hands and when he does he's raising and betting. The extreme form of this is known as a maniac.

A tight/passive player plays premium hands but doesn't want to put a lot of bets in. The downside is he doesn't maximize his profit and often allows opponents to draw out because he doesn't charge them to draw.

A loose/passive player, as you've probably figured out, plays too many hands and likes to check/call. Calling stations are often loose passive and they are unbluffable. These are the players that hit the two outers and cause serious frustration.

There is an add-on to this called "weak". Usually it's tight players who exhibit weak tendencies. Weak players often assume they are beaten and make "great laydowns" when they shouldn't. Don't be weak.

That's about it.

Regards,

T
Old 06-09-2005, 06:50 PM

Thanks Sheridan.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:51 PM

What is a donk or ponkey player?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:18 PM

A donk/donkey is just a bad player who makes dumb plays. A loose/passive player is a classic donkey.

Regards,

T