Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Raising it up with top two pair

MP1 was Loose-Passive, BB loose & very passive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Thought about raising but figured it plays well multiway.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

I raised because I thought the set was unlikely, and I wanted to make as many as possible face two bets.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, MP1 calls.

River: (13 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Any glaring errors?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Raising it up with top two pair

I would raise this PF, while it does play well multiway, I'd much rather buy the button and be in control of the hand. After getting the flop capped and led into on the turn, I'd probably go into calldown mode and pray for the best.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:43 PM

Yeh thats how i would have played it, i wouldnt have raised preflop, i feel that would be loose play with a hand like QJs, its more of a creative hand than a strong hand. i would be confident im leading the hand on the flop with no raises preflop so its unlikely your up against a set. check the rivered 8 is probably wise too.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:46 PM

I don't mind the limp here. You've got one in already, several yet to act, and a good multiway hand. This is one of those starting hands that you can feel good about limping and then calling a raise with, so right on man.

flop looks standard

There's an argument to be made for calling down from the turn here since MP1 could have limped with a pocket pair and seen a happy flop with his line. That said, I think I like the raise since you made the button face two cold where he had to fold. The smooth call by MP1 here makes me feel better about where I stand.

river looks good.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:07 PM

I like the limp better than a raise PF.

I really like the turn raise. I see no reason to credit MP1 with a better hand than yours. A big draw seems very plausible. Plus you knock out the button.

I think you missed a bet on the river.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:12 PM

I don't like the check behind on the river. The eight isn't scary, as it would take AA or KK to counterfeit your two pair. Given no preflop raise, those are unlikely.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:21 PM

I'm raising this preflop from MP2 if it's 8 handed. How multiway do you expect this pot to become by limping? I prefer raising to isolate the limper and maybe pick up the pot right away if an ace or king flops. I don't understand everyone wanting to limp here.