Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: WSOP event #6 -- question on KK play

I agree that the mini-raise was not the best option. My thinking was that if I raise 3-4k which was what I was thinking at the time he would call with practically anything given what I had seen of him and the fact that he most likely had at least Ax, a pair or two face cards. We were playing back at each other before this so I wasn't sure I defined my hand as a high pair. In fact I had done the mini raise routine before to define my hand as a monster when it wasn't and then took down the pot with a 1/2 - 3/4 pot raise on the flop when I actually had nothing. The mini-raise could have also looked like a strong A which was part of the plan if an A came I could take the pot with a 2kish bet. I also felt that if the flop was not scary I would just take it down right there.

I would rather push than put in 30% of my stack preflop and then be forced to fold if an A came because he was playing a hand like A9-AK and he played back at me.

I think just calling or pushing were probably the best strategies here. If he called me with a pair or Ax, which was likely, than I got exactly what I should want -- a big favorite to double up. If he folds than I take 1k and continue on to the next hand. I would have never said push before this, but the more I think about it the better it looks in these situations. I really like it better than a 3-5k raise for the reasons stated above. Do you disagree with my logic? If so, why?

* BTW, in the NL rebuy event yesterday I went on the rush of the century in the first hour. I went from 1k to 8.5k and never had things go against me. After the rebuy period I had so many chips that it made no sense to add-on. I get moved to Phil Ivey's table and on the 3rd hand there I made the absolute worst mistake I had ever made in a poker game. I have no idea why I did what I did and it was so bad that I cannot even share it with you here -- although if you see Phil be sure to ask him about the worst play he has ever seen in his life! It wasn't against him, but I'm sure he took notice of it. I didn't sleep the night before and was home-sick after a week away from the family, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Anyway, I immediately packed my bags and came home (I was planning on leaving today anyway). Most people don't realize and appreciate the amount of concentration and endurance it takes to play in these grueling events.

I usually play in the big LA events, but never on back-to-back days and I get to sleep at home. The WSOP is another animal all together. Hopefully I'll have more stamina for the main event.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:23 PM

Hey Scott,

I think that raising to 4K is the best option because of what everyone else has said. Given your history with CK, I'm not folding to any flop after putting in that much stack preflop.

If you feel like he's calling your all-in then go for it but I think he folds his 63o now that it's later in the tourney, no?

Too bad about the misplay. I think you should have added on no matter what, but that's me. Are you at home until July or will you be coming back in-between?

Schaefer
Old 06-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Regarding adding on, I spoke to quite a few people about this and everyone agreed that the equity is not there if you are over 5k or so. At 8-9k which is what I had everyone agreed that it was a no-brainer to pass. If others disagree, I would like to hear their opinion.

At one point I thought about going to Vegas again around the 20th, but I think at this point I had enough. My starting day for the Main Event is the 9th (last day) so I'll probably come early on the 8th. While it was disappointing to not money in any of the events I played, I did win over $7k in sats (after the KK knockout I had decided to leave the next morning, but then I figured I would play a sat and if I won I would play the next day. I played a $325 and got down to 2 and we chopped!) so all-in-all, I made out pretty good considering.

Summary:

1: NL $1500: played solid went from 2500 - 440. Overplayed my hand, but not the worst mistake ever. Had the right read, but my opponent hit her set on the turn. A bit too aggressive and unlucky with the timing.
2) Pot Limit $1500: out in the first hour, but a bad beat. Flopped set and milked players correctly. Opponent hit full house on river to beat me.
3) Limit $1500. Made it down to 200 or so from 1000. Played pretty well considering I don't play limit tournaments. Made rookie mistakes down towards end.
4) NL short-handed $2500. As discussed here. 460 down to 90-ish. Probably didn't play KK as well as I should have, but most-likely I would have lost regardless. Who knows.
5) NL rebuy $1000. Complete screw up with big stack

The one thing I will say is that every time I made a mistake, but one time, I was out. I rarely won as the underdog (in the first event when I was short-stacked my 99 cracked AA). Most of the players I see getting far have a few situations where they win as dog. For example, the Magician got to the final table of the NL short-handed tournament. I didn't see the hand, but according to cardplayer he called off about 1/2 of his stack with 55 after two other players (john juanda and martin green) were all-in. He hit his 5 on the river.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 PM

I think all of your points are solid and well stated. I would fold to a re-raise of 3k-ish (I assume you mean another 3k, not another 2k) but I'm not convinced he would have. I do think that 3k more is about right (or a push). Anything less and I'm just begging for a call with a wide range of hands and then I'm in a bind if an A hits.