Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: In a pickle

I really disagree with the statement that the guy is 'hitting and running'

He just goes into the night saying that 10 bucks is the most he's gonna lose. When he won 55, he didn't hit and run... he freakin rolled over everybody (i'm assuming). If he sits down for 10 minutes and wins a 5 dollar pot and leaves.. then ya, don't invite him back. But if the guy just wants to play with 1 buyin, I don't see how you can have an arguement against that.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:50 PM

its not really hit and running when he did it the first time. the 2nd time, however, after he won a huge pot by catching his flush on the river after an all in on the turn he waited about 2 rotations and then said "its getting late i gotta go." i have no rules in my house about leaving, it was more of the other guys who were pissed. i have told peole you can leave whenever you want. i wasnt the one who was pissed off as it was the guys who lost their money to him. but i have no doubt though that the more this guy plays he will eventually lose all of it back, and maybe he realized that and tried to get away as quick as possible.

hes just getting lucky, hes not "rolling" people over. i am certainly not the one paying him off, its the bad players who are. first night, however, he had pocket deuces with a 33A 2 spade flop, the turn is a spade and someone goes all in before him with the nut flush and he immediately calls. calling station the whole way thru even with overs and flush draws out there. got lucky on the river and spikes a 2 and to get the boat for a huge pot. so i hope u can get an idea of his play by that hand. he really had no clue that his pocket 2's could be beaten, but he got rewarded at the end anyhow to re-enforce his bad play.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:56 PM

My NL cash home game is $40 max buyin, $0.25/$0.25 blinds.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:10 PM

We've always stayed away from NL cash games at our weekly home game because the big swings involved with that type of game generate a lot of the problems: most of which have been mentioned on this thread. We always just play sng style tournaments for a set buyin and no rebuy. After about two months we got the blind structure adjusted to where the tournaments last around 3-4 hours, which is about the amount of time people like to play at our home game.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
myslef and the older guys are all over 24.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you really know how to hurt a guy.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've always stayed away from NL cash games at our weekly home game because the big swings involved with that type of game generate a lot of the problems: most of which have been mentioned on this thread. We always just play sng style tournaments for a set buyin and no rebuy. After about two months we got the blind structure adjusted to where the tournaments last around 3-4 hours, which is about the amount of time people like to play at our home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share what the blind structure is and how many chips do you start off with and other details?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 AM

HOW THE HELL can people play 4-5 nights a WEEK!!!!! thats
around 250 nights a year. WHOLY [censored]. and some poeple still say its to serious? Thats wierd. how can you play so much and not take it even somewhat seriously.

Signed,

Astonished In London
Old 06-23-2005, 05:12 PM

we usually have between 6 and 8 players. We start with 10,000 in chips and blinds at 50/100. This is pretty small starting blinds for a 10,000 starting stack, but we up them every 20 minutes. I don't have the exact schedule with me here at the office, but it's something like

50/100
100/200
150/300
200/400
250/500
300/600
400/800
500/1000

by that time it's usually pretty close to heads up. If we have 7 or more players to start then we pay three spots. Third gets their money back, second gets 2X the buying and first gets the rest. If we only have six players then third doesn't get paid.

Every once in a while we'll have a tourney that's inordinately long or short, but it's usually around 3.5 hours.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Just an update: The solution that we all came to was simply to play less for more money, so its down to 3 nights a week. However, some of the others who prefer (myself included) are playing other games and then meeting up with everyone else to hang out afterwards.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have been playing a home game 4-5 nights a week with the same group of friends for about a year now. When we first started we hadnt much knowledge of poker, we were just some kids playing. We started out with 25 50 cent blinds and a ten dollar buy in, a structure which lasted up until recently. This structure is obviously flawed

[/ QUOTE ]

My home game has the same problem. If some people re-buy several times, the game can go kinda normal with the extra money on the table. We've played $.25-.25 blinds and $.025-.05. I've found the $.25-.50 swings a lot, the .$25-.25 less. $.10-.25 probably isn't a bad idea either, but the cashout might be tricky if people buy in for bills and don't want to race in order to get to a even $ figure.