Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Neteller Accnt Hacked (continued) and Neteller Won\'t Refund

[ QUOTE ]
11.2. It is your responsibility to keep your Account identification, secure identification, password, security questions and answers and other information specific to your Account confidential and in a safe and secure place. Should another person gain access to your Account by passing all identification and security validation and verification checks, we are entitled to treat any transaction conducted by that person as valid and authorised by you and are not responsible for any loss or damage you may incur as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
11.5. You acknowledge and agree that all electronic money purchases, transfers or withdrawals into or out of your Account are final and not reversible. NETeller cannot arrange for your Account to be refunded where you believe the purchase, transfer or withdrawal was made in error.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are screwed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Rom
Old 06-09-2005, 03:39 PM

Latest Development

Okay the good news is I got my money back today. But the truth is, Neteller didn't act promptly to recover my loss. They (and I) just somehow got "lucky". And as I said before, Neteller was NOT going to refund me if they failed to recover the money.

I called Neteller investigation dept rep Brittany back on Monday because I decided I wasn't going to take the "no police report no info" BS no more. I asked her who the merchant "RM Costa Rica" was and to my supprise she told me right away the company URL was www.xodds.com and she had sent them an email but hadn't heard back from them. She said she didn't call coz no phone numbers were listed on that website.

I got off the phone and went to www.xodds.com and sure enough, there were a bunch of phone numbers. It took me some time to actually talk to a customer rep from www.xodds.com as they are based in UK. Anyhow, I told the lady what happened to me and gave her my Neteller account ID. Then a day later I called back and she said they were looking into it but she was not in a position to release any info at this point. I said at least tell me if there was any money left in that account and she said yes. Based on her tone I thought I was probably going to be bailed out this time. And today I called Brittany and she told me they contacted www.xodds.com and were able to recover the money. The money was in my Neteller account as we spoke on the phone, but I told her to leave the account closed coz I needed some time to think about what to do with it.

Of course I'm thrilled I got my money back and Neteller did help in recovering the loss. I'm probably going to continue to use Neteller as I have no better alternative. But the following facts still remain true.

1. My money was stolen on Thursday and I found out on Saturday. Neteller refused to offer any help besides closing my account and told me to call their investigation dept on Monday (TWO days later!!!!!).

2. On Monday Neteller's investigation dept refused to offer any help until I went to file a police report and fax it to them. It later became evident that they didn't need the f.u.cking report to start investigation and the recovering process because Neteller still doesn't have a copy of the police report as this message is posted. They were just being difficult.

3. Neteller was NOT going to give me my money back had they not successfully recovered the money from www.xodds.com. It's stated in their T&C. They are a UK company and they are NOT an online bank. Neteller is not under the US jurisdiction therefore your money is not safe with them.

This thread isn't over yet because most people here still don't believe what I said really happened. Please be patient and wait for the pics of the police report, Wachovia's affidavit and my Neteller account summary (once I reopen it). My only motive is to alert you guys as this could happen to any of you.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:57 PM

well, glad to hear you got your money back. This raises some concerns though. Are there NO other reasonable alternatives to Neteller?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Latest Development

Okay the good news is I got my money back today. But the truth is, Neteller didn't act promptly to recover my loss. They (and I) just somehow got "lucky". And as I said before, Neteller was NOT going to refund me if they failed to recover the money.

I called Neteller investigation dept rep Brittany back on Monday because I decided I wasn't going to take the "no police report no info" BS no more. I asked her who the merchant "RM Costa Rica" was and to my supprise she told me right away the company URL was www.xodds.com and she had sent them an email but hadn't heard back from them. She said she didn't call coz no phone numbers were listed on that website.

I got off the phone and went to www.xodds.com and sure enough, there were a bunch of phone numbers. It took me some time to actually talk to a customer rep from www.xodds.com as they are based in UK. Anyhow, I told the lady what happened to me and gave her my Neteller account ID. Then a day later I called back and she said they were looking into it but she was not in a position to release any info at this point. I said at least tell me if there was any money left in that account and she said yes. Based on her tone I thought I was probably going to be bailed out this time. And today I called Brittany and she told me they contacted www.xodds.com and were able to recover the money. The money was in my Neteller account as we spoke on the phone, but I told her to leave the account closed coz I needed some time to think about what to do with it.

Of course I'm thrilled I got my money back and Neteller did help in recovering the loss. I'm probably going to continue to use Neteller as I have no better alternative. But the following facts still remain true.

1. My money was stolen on Thursday and I found out on Saturday. Neteller refused to offer any help besides closing my account and told me to call their investigation dept on Monday (TWO days later!!!!!).

2. On Monday Neteller's investigation dept refused to offer any help until I went to file a police report and fax it to them. It later became evident that they didn't need the f.u.cking report to start investigation and the recovering process because Neteller still doesn't have a copy of the police report as this message is posted. They were just being difficult.

3. Neteller was NOT going to give me my money back had they not successfully recovered the money from www.xodds.com. It's stated in their T&C. They are a UK company and they are NOT an online bank. Neteller is not under the US jurisdiction therefore your money is not safe with them.

This thread isn't over yet because most people here still don't believe what I said really happened. Please be patient and wait for the pics of the police report, Wachovia's affidavit and my Neteller account summary (once I reopen it). My only motive is to alert you guys as this could happen to any of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am just way suspicious. I wouldn't click on that URL or go to that website under any circumstances for any amount of money.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:39 PM

I am glad you got your money back, but I don't think that Neteller acted unreasonably at all. You made them aware of the situation. They investigated it. They found your money. They returned it. Quite frankly, if you call any corporate office in America on Saturday, no one will get back to you until at least Monday.

Also, how can you not think it was reasonable for Neteller to ask you to provide some type of information to prove that you are who you said you were and what happened actually happened? How do they know that YOU weren't the one committing fraud???

As far as making me aware of the risks:

I could get killed in a car accident tonight while driving home, but I know the risks and do whatever I can to minimize them to acceptable level. Driving my car is, quite simply, the safest and most convenient way for me to get around town.

If you want to move money around on the internet in the most safe and convenient manner, I suggest you take the necessary steps to minimze your risks so that this doesn't happen to you again. I don't see this happening to any of the dozens (hundreds?) of people on this on this board who are moving thousands of dollars around everyday.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:40 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am just way suspicious. I wouldn't click on that URL or go to that website under any circumstances for any amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do it, from Linux partition at home tonight. I'm curious, and I'm willing to bet that my Linux defenses are up to the challenge. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I wouldn't put the XP side to the test, though....

-Mike
Old 06-09-2005, 05:43 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to move money around on the internet in the most safe and convenient manner, I suggest you take the necessary steps to minimze your risks so that this doesn't happen to you again. I don't see this happening to any of the dozens (hundreds?) of people on this on this board who are moving thousands of dollars around everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going back to a previous suggestion I made earlier in the thread (which I got from others along the way), a really good way to protect your finances is to have a separate account used exclusively for Neteller transactions. Only put money there when you need to. That way, even if someone compromises your Neteller account down the road, they can't draw money out of your bank account.

-Mike
Old 06-09-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am glad you got your money back, but I don't think that Neteller acted unreasonably at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious man? If you had your Neteller money stolen and Neteller weren't able to recover it, they would NOT give you your money back. Do you honestly think that's reasonable?

Again, Neteller is a UK company and they are NOT a bank, so you cannot expect the same from them as you do with BoA or Wachovia. That's what I meant by "Your money is not safe with Neteller".

Your last comment basically says "This s.h.i.t. probably won't happen to me so my money is safe with Neteller". I have no comment on that one.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Going back to a previous suggestion I made earlier in the thread (which I got from others along the way), a really good way to protect your finances is to have a separate account used exclusively for Neteller transactions. Only put money there when you need to. That way, even if someone compromises your Neteller account down the road, they can't draw money out of your bank account.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely do that. As a matter of fact, I have already opened an account today at another bank and plan to use it exclusively for Neteller. But it doesn't solve the whole problem.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 PM

I find the most curious part of this whole episode to be the fact that the thieves had not moved the money beyond reach considering all the time they had to do so. Any thoughts on this?