Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: 20/40 MIrage: 3 bet KK from the BB 5 handed???

Sometime you bet just because you have the best hand. This is one of the times.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I call the second bet and then bet out the flop, if one of the UTG players raises I think I have a better chance of winning the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
to improve your overall chances of actually winning the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

the fallacy in you thinking is that you are trying to win pots whereas the forum is informing you how to win money
Old 06-09-2005, 02:20 PM

Numbers are numbers, but it's always best hand poker, I'd cap-it if I could preflop w/KK. As long as flop looked good I'd cap-it again if possible. I want everyone to pay (especially the drawing hands) before they get that pit in their stomachs that their cards aren't coming and fold.
Most will fold on the flop or call flop for one more bet, if you wait with such a strong hand you'll have missed you opt to build a big pot.

Heck, look at your stats (winning %) for 'KK', there lies
your answer, if you want numbers.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sucks sucks is likely correct. sucks.

The problem with this particular forum is the dearth of people who might actually like to help out, rather than just flame away at what they perceive to be too simple a question.

I'll just state it another way. I agree completely and obviously with those that want greater value/pot equity etc by getting as much money in the pot preflop. And I think that with 2 or 3 players in the pot that big pairs essentially plsy themselves.

I'm just curious if in your combined wisdom and experience, if there is an alternative way to play this to improve your overall chances of actually winning the pot. Making the pot huge and losing it is still losing.... Maybe I need one of the math geeks to work out the EV of small pot/few players versus large pot/many players (please just post the link as I'm sure its been done before)- and in fact, with 5 players, aren't we getting to the point where KK is being played for set value anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an expert by any means, but IMHO your problem is a philosophical one. I am getting that from this statement if there is an alternative way to play this to improve your overall chances of actually winning the pot. Making the pot huge and losing it is still losing. Your goal should be to win the most money, not the most pots. You "make money" when your opponents put money in the pot with inferior holdings. You will win the most money with a big hand like AA or KK by getting money in when you are a huge favorite, which is preflop. At least this is what I think.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Here's a similar post regarding the same kinda situation in a full ring game..

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;o=&vc=1

I got loads of abuse for this.. I strong suggest raising and capping with KK whenever possible.. Oh by the way when I'm sad or down I go back and read my post, it makes me laugh at how stupid I was [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]