Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Old 15/30 AA. Too fancy?

This is from so long ago, I don't remember any reads. Lets assume there were none.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 06-09-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Old 15/30 AA. Too fancy?

yes too fancy, because you can almost certainly bet the turn and fold to a raise.

One benefit to the turn check is that it may improve him to a 2-pair he can call a river bet with (or may induce a bluff), but I dont think this is necessary here. After he raises the flop on this board I think the chances are very high he sees a showdown.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 AM

The turn bet and fold to a raise line deprives hero of a 5% shot of drawing out trip kings or a 10% shot of drawing out 3-3 or 8-8. Add into this, villain WILL be checkraising a worse hand here more often than 0% of the time. Not often, but say 3-4% of the time. This still means that faced with most often calling down two bets drawing slim, hero is probably correct to be folding to a turn raise. But he will be folding what would turn out to be the best hand on the river close to 10% of the time.

I like hero's line. This way, he is giving himself one extra card against trip kings and losing the same as the turn bet/fold-to-raise line, while he can make a very controlled 100% value bet when checked to for the second time on the river.

Me likey.

Lars
Old 06-09-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn bet and fold to a raise line deprives hero of a 5% shot of drawing out trip kings or a 10% shot of drawing out 3-3 or 8-8. Add into this, villain WILL be checkraising a worse hand here more often than 0% of the time. Not often, but say 3-4% of the time. This still means that faced with most often calling down two bets drawing slim, hero is probably correct to be folding to a turn raise. But he will be folding what would turn out to be the best hand on the river close to 10% of the time.

I like hero's line. This way, he is giving himself one extra card against trip kings and losing the same as the turn bet/fold-to-raise line, while he can make a very controlled 100% value bet when checked to for the second time on the river.

Me likey.

Lars

[/ QUOTE ]

Lars, given Hero's flop action is largely indicative of a king, i would be shocked if the SB C/R more then 1% of the time with a hand worse then Hero's, however he seems like he is calling down with any PP or 3, so this turn is a definite bet and fold to a raise. Also, if an ace rivers and the SB has say 44, you might not even get a call on the river, thus i think you want to bet the turn.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes too fancy, because you can almost certainly bet the turn and fold to a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

More importantly, because you can bet the turn and bet the river [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]