Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Call this river all-in?

Results,

Of course Batman calls and The Riddler has 88 and takes the pot. It just seems that I can grind out some upside only to have it all go away on hands like these? I guess a bigger bet on the flop would have won it for me.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 08:43 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Results,

Of course Batman calls and The Riddler has 88 and takes the pot. It just seems that I can grind out some upside only to have it all go away on hands like these? I guess a bigger bet on the flop would have won it for me.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, his implied odds on the flop were bad, but not horrible. You shoulda bet more.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 AM

I like just calling preflop. You're going to be out of position for the rest of the hand and you might not hit the flop. If you're going to raise to get heads up, raise more (make it $12 to go). I'm surprised that more people didn't call your small raise. It turns out that you got heads up anyway.

On the flop, the only hand you're worried about is 44. If he has 44, you're going to lose a lot of chips (that's poker). Your flop bet should've been bigger (2/3 pot) and you want him to call because it would be a big mistake on his part. I think Riddler still made a mistake by calling your small bet with 88. He only had 2 outs (22 to 1). There are a lot of hands that you could have that he is way behind. He was probably thinking he had good implied odds. He called $5 to win $21.50. You had $53 left. So he was calling $5 to win $75 (15 to 1). Implied odds still aren't good enough to make this call.

I don't think I'm ever getting away from this hand given the stack sizes and your position. When I see that flop, I'm thinking about the best way to get all of my chips in the middle. I've lost my stacks many times to people who hit their 2-outers. Not much you can do about it. But they're the people you want at your table. You'll make more money on them in the long run.