Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Opinion please,good or bad call?

The following happened early in NLHE tourney,am I calling when I should be folding??(note,when I say early I have no read on my opponents)

1.I raise with AQs,two callers.
Flop: Q 10 3 rainbow,I bet the pot,I am reraised all in,3rd player folds,I call.player has J 9 and hits his straight,I'm out.

I guess I'm wondering if its a good call so early in the tourney,should I be waiting for better opportunities where all my chips aren't at stake or am I just unfortunate?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Opinion please,good or bad call?

how much was your raise? were you pot commited????
I always raise here weather I call is based on pot odds???
Old 05-19-2003, 07:17 AM

bad luck - you bumped into a gambler, made the right call on the day, but he drew out on you

it's a bit of a "you needed to be there" hand, but if you could have backed down with a "no one ever believes me" type comment without damaging your future chances too much i would say you could have waited for better situations to arise rather than committing all to a pair of queens early on

imo
Old 05-19-2003, 10:30 AM

Without blinds, stack sizes and actual raise amounts, it is hard to say.

Ken Poklitar
Old 05-20-2003, 02:02 PM

Sorry,next time Ill put more info down,

Stack sizes were all similar (around 1500)I bet 300(size of the pot)he went all in which was about 1200 to me,leaving me with practically nothing.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 PM

So it looks like this is the 10/20 or 15/30 blind level. I probably call this one if it's a one or two table sit-and-go, but if its a big multi-table affair, I'm much more tempted th throw TP/TK away. This early, there's too much chance my preflop raise was called with a hand that's ahead of me now. I don't like all-in confrontations this early holding less than 2 pair. There's a lot of time to make up the chips you've already thrown in without a do-or-die move.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:03 PM

So the pot has 1800 after his raise of your flop bet and you need to add 900. You didn't mention position of your opponent compared to you. If he check-raised all-in then I would be more worried than if he simply raised.

I likely call unless he check-raised you.

Instead of betting the pot on the flop, you can bet 2/3 of the pot and it basically does the same thing except it saves you some chips and it keeps the pots a bit smaller which allows you to feel less commited to the pot when you miss or you get raised.

Ken Poklitar
Old 05-20-2003, 03:53 PM

If this was a relatively cheap single-table sit and go ($20 or less), I'd probably call. A lot of these satellite players really gamble it up. They'll push all in with an open-ended or heck, in some cases I've seen them really bluff it up with all-in bets with a gutshot draw -- even with flush cards showing. Top pair, top kicker is often the best hand against jokers like this. Of course, you'll be increasing your variance significantly like this. But at the end of the day, I get a really good feeling when I catch one of these lose.. I mean players with their BS.

Of course, if this is a bigger event, or a multi-table tourney, I'd probably muck the cards and wait for something better to come along. If you are better than the rest at your table, you shouldn't have a hard time recovering.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:47 PM

Thanks guys,it seems the general consensus is to fold and wait which in hindsight seems correct!! lol.

I'll know better next time.