Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2003, 07:38 PM

Default Hmm...did I play this correctly?

Hi guys,

$5 sit-n-go at Paradise. Down to the final four (final three are paid). I've taken a few tough beats in the last few hands to knock me down to last place with T835, 3rd Place has T975.

I'm the button with K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

CO (the third place player) calls, I'm tempted to raise here (probably should have?), but instead I just limp. SB folds and the BB checks.

Flop: 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img], T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

CO bets, I raise, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

CO checks, I bet (putting myself all-in), CO calls.

River: Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

CO shows KTo, I win with the straight.

I feel that I had enough outs to go for it here (King high flush, plus a double belly-buster straight), curious if you agree.

Thanks,
jHE
Old 05-18-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Hmm...did I play this correctly?

if you are going to play K9s, and it's quite tempting here for you in your circumstances, then trying for a limp sight of the flop is ok in my book, so you can live to fight another scrap if you miss it

once you flopped your huge 15-outer, which was the text book dream flop for this hand, obviously you had to go for it

good one

Old 05-18-2003, 10:59 PM

you had a flush draw and a gut shot straight whats the ??????
Old 05-19-2003, 04:26 AM

Considering that it's very likely all your 15 outs are good, and it's possible you have a further three with the K (although not in this case), plus the fact that he might fold when you raise or bet, this is a clear cut hand: pump it up!

Well played.

Guy.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:24 AM

What are the blinds?

Depending on the blinds, the limp with K9s is either fine or terrible. Unless the blinds are low I am not limping on the button. I am either raising or folding after someone else has limped. The fact you were all-in on the turn I would fold K9s.

Flop raise is fine. I would check the turn. Given a free card take it.

Ken Poklitar
Old 05-20-2003, 01:53 AM

Thanks guys, sorry for being unclear...the limits were 200/400. I was mainly wondering about raising preflop and whether my bet on the turn was a good move or not. The way I played it I was already committed by the turn (only had ~235 left to bet) so that is why I went bet all-in on the turn, his check made me think he was scared and looking back I realize he probably would have called regardless, I was trying to be aggressive and make him consider laying down an ace-high type hand.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-20-2003, 11:47 AM

Given the size of the blinds, I don't think limping is too great an option. Post-flop, no complaints. But pre-flop, if you're calling off 1/4 of your stack, you probably don't want both the SB and BB in this hand as well. Depending on your read on the limper, I'd either fold or try to get heads up with him. More often than not, I'll wait. But having seen a good flop, I think you're pretty much committed to going the distance with all those outs.