Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 06:05 PM

Default AA Hand I probably screwed up

It was my second hand at the table, so no reads.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666"> 1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666"> 1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666"> 1 fold</font>, <font color="red"> Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (7 players) </font>
<font color="red"> Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (5 players) </font>
<font color="red"> Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

River: (11 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (4 players) </font>
<font color="red"> Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: (11 BB)

I'm wondering if the raise Pre-flop is correct. with 7 people already in the pot and not likely to fold, am I just giving them better pot odds?

Also, I'm guessing I should've c/r the flop because of the flush draw. Is there any other way to protect against it?

Thanks in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: AA Hand I probably screwed up

I think you played this just fine. The preflop raise is obvious and necessary. You aren't trying to fold anyone with that raise, you are trying to build a big pot that you will win more than 1 in 7 times. I don't like trying to check/raise the flop because you don't know where a bet will come from if at all. This hand was standard.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 PM

You can never go too wrong just leading out each street in this situation. Its possible that you could grab extra bets getting fancy with a c/r somewhere but that often just complicates things more than its worth, I think straightforward is the way to go here. Also, the pre flop raise is a must.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:25 PM

perfectly played.

if you just complete the SB with AA they should take away your 2+2 account. I'm not kidding.

check/raising the flop does not protect you against anything. If it checks to the button, you raise, you just gave your opponents 14.5:2 odds to call -- flush draws are going nowhere.

You want to get as much money in the pot as possible. As the clear aggressor in the hand, the chance that it checks through when you open check is too much risk to not bet.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if the raise Pre-flop is correct. with 7 people already in the pot and not likely to fold, am I just giving them better pot odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you are also collecting a nice portion of each bet that goes into the pot when they call your raise. Completing (rather than raising) would be terrible.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm guessing I should've c/r the flop because of the flush draw. Is there any other way to protect against it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, don't try and C/R the flop. Just bet. You can try for a C/R on the turn if you're just dying to try and be fancy, but you should just bet the turn, too.

You can't ever protect against a flush draw in a 7-handed pot that is raised pre-flop -- anyone with a flush draw is seeing the river regardless; bet your hand for value and hope no one hits a flush.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Why is it you feel like you played this hand wrong.

This is a hand I can finally get behind.

Strong Hand – raises PF
Bets the flop
Bets the turn
Bets the river.

Just like the good ‘ole days.

No need to “Wait for the turn to raise”, No FPS CR, No “Value Bet” or “Not To Value Bet” discussion…..

BET BET BET.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, seriously, u can not protect against or get a flush draw to fold. If u can ever get somebody to fold their four flush on the flop...that would be an amazing feat. They are going to be staying with you to the end, your friend until the river. Charge them to stay around, because they are not leaving. Just so u know, any more bets going into the flop and getting called...are really really good for the flush draw u want to "protect" against. Ignore the flush draws, Your job is to protect your hand from the people with bottom pair, gutshots, backdoor draws, etc. whom you can force out.

Read this thread by Ed Miller

Also, a poster on here gathered some of the best 2+2 threads and linked them:

Guido's favorite threads site

Some awesome good stuff in there.

By the way, the hand was played fine. And absolutly raise preflop.