Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Thinking of moving up to 5/10 6-max

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 features much better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but there are still plenty of donks. Plenty. Table selection is pretty important at this level, imo...

Hell, I am probably one of them and just don't know it yet. Look me up when you start playing up here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 06:31 PM

The reason I play almost exclusively on Party is that the players are poor. Do you think 3/6 short on UB, for example, would be an easier game than 5/10 on Party? If not, I may as well go straight to 5/10 on Party (I am bankrolled) as this would be more profitable. Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:00 PM

That's making the assumption that going straight to 5/10 on Party is profitable at all.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:01 PM

I play on UB, it's about a 50/50 mix of TAGs/fish in 2/4. If there were more games this would be great, but there are 3-5 at each level.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I play almost exclusively on Party is that the players are poor. Do you think 3/6 short on UB, for example, would be an easier game than 5/10 on Party? If not, I may as well go straight to 5/10 on Party (I am bankrolled) as this would be more profitable. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have 600BBs for 5/10, then set aside 150BBs and give it a shot. If you feel uncomfortable at any time then I suggest to drop down to 2/4 or 3/6 until you feel more comfortable with higher aggression (than 1/2). Good luck.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:28 PM

IMO 5/10 6max on UB is just as good a game as Party 5/10 6max
Old 06-08-2005, 09:26 PM

So you are planning to move to a limit almost double what you currently play (3/6 to 5/10) and simultaneously switch from full games to short games? That seems like a really bad idea. I'm sure plenty of people have done things like that and some have succeeded, just like some people out there have jumped from 2/4 to 20/40 and had it work out and so forth. But that doesn't mean it's a sensible way to move up the limits. You should either get in some real time at 5/10 full first (it plays similar to 3/6 and has lower variance than 5/10 short) or get some time at 3/6 short (or both).
Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 PM

You are folding your BB way too much and you are not going to showdown enough.

If you value money, then I suggest that you play 2/4 at PokerStars or a similar site that others have suggested.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:31 PM

I agree I have a problem with WtSD %. I have always considered a great deal of my profit to come from folding hopeless hands rather than calling down with them. I am now calling down with middle pair almost regardless in shorthanded games simply because I have been bluffed so much (or attempted bluffed--i.e., raised on the river after I suddenly bet out by an aggressive player jamming his flush draw, which missed).

As far as blind defence, that may be a sample size issue. I seem to be getting T5o and such in my blinds. My defence rules shorthanded are usually any two 9 or higher, Qxs, Kxs, Axs, any ace, suited connectors/one-gaps, pocket pairs, J8s.

Do you think I need to loosen up more than this in BB?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 PM

I'm one of the people who made the jump from 1/2 6max (which I literally crushed, > 4 BB/100) I was fortunate to hit an upswing as soon as I switched to 5/10, which boosted my confidence. Here's what I think is the difference.

Blind defense is MUCH more important. Any fish knows that raising when it's folded around is +EV against tight players. I fold my BB about 50% to steals.

Passive can be better than aggressive. Just because someone is a maniac doesn't mean you have to raise all of their bets--just be selectively aggressive, and call down with hands that you think have a good chance of being the best.

Milking for bets is much much more important.

The MOST important thing to me is table selection. There are so many VPIP 45+ tables out there that I refuse to sit at a table with VPIP < 40. There's just no reason to.

TILT. If you've read a couple of my posts, you know that I have tilted a few times costing me around 12 BBs. Tilt in 6max, especially agaisnt maniacs and assmonkeys, can kill your bankroll.

These are just the things I've noticed. Let me know if you agree/disagree