Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: KQs -- huge draw in huge pot misses on river -- what\'s my play?

[ QUOTE ]
Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Checks - Folds

Logs Offs, and signs on to the internet

Orders: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

And
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

Learns what to do when a TAG raises UTG, and you hold JTs, and what to do with a busted draw on the river with a table full of calling stations.

Logs back on to Party, but plays $1/$2 for 30K hands.

Reads more hands, posts honest opinions of what you would do in many situations – not just the status quo.

Receives feedback and processes information

Logs back on to $2/$4 and pwns the competition.

--not trying to sound overly harsh, but your last two hands have been very very generic no brainers –

Low Limit poker is all about fundamentals. – I get the feeling you could probably use a refresher.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 PM

while agree with the bet, i don't see what getting the button does for you for the river. you either hit or you don't. you do and you want more people (the button) in. you don't and it doesn't matter if the button is there or not.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while agree with the bet, i don't see what getting the button does for you for the river. you either hit or you don't. you do and you want more people (the button) in. you don't and it doesn't matter if the button is there or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think position on the river in this hand give you almost nothing, but I don't think it's nothing. pretty much nothing though. anyways my point was in an EV neutral situation I'm going with aggression here.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:25 PM

I have no idea what crunchy and sarge think is so dumb about this hand.

I think the river is pretty interesting.

Preflop: raising with KQs is fine.

When the UTG limp-reraises and MP caps, you're in trouble.

But at that point tbe odds are too good to fold, even if you're drawing just to the straights and flushes.

On the flop, you hit about as well as you could have hoped for.

Given what happened pf, I just call. But I know a lot of folks would raise, and I'm open to convincing.

On the turn you have a straight-flush draw against three players. Obviously you bet.

On the river you have 18bb's in the pot. You were the last to show aggression since the flop, and nobody bet or raised the turn.

It's starting to look like maybe the table's laggier than you thought, or maybe a couple of AK's or AQ's overplayed their hands.

You'll get called the vast majority of the time. But will you get called 18/19ths of the time?

I don't know, but I'd be sorely tempted to try it, simply because bluffing the last two players out on the river would be such a great achievement, and because it has to work so infrequently to be profitable.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Given the preflop action, the four-straight on board, and the fact that a tight passive has been calling you down, I would check it here. The only thing you're beating is a worse busted draw.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Given what happened pf, I just call. But I know a lot of folks would raise, and I'm open to convincing.

On the turn you have a straight-flush draw against three players. Obviously you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your a little flip flopped here. Ram and Jam/clean up overcard outs is standard on the flop. Turn is close. To clarify we don't have a straight-flush draw, it's a straight and flush draw on the turn - semantics but it was enough to make me look at the action again. Anyway - without running the exact numbers, most of the time your going to take a free card on the turn. However with the Jack outs, flush outs, and who knows about the overcard outs - there just might be enough equity to bet the turn as well.

[ QUOTE ]

On the river you have 18bb's in the pot. You were the last to show aggression since the flop, and nobody bet or raised the turn.

It's starting to look like maybe the table's laggier than you thought, or maybe a couple of AK's or AQ's overplayed their hands.

You'll get called the vast majority of the time. But will you get called 18/19ths of the time?

I don't know, but I'd be sorely tempted to try it, simply because bluffing the last two players out on the river would be such a great achievement, and because it has to work so infrequently to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - it's a big pot.
Yeah 19 out of 19 times you will be called by at least one of the remaining three

If it was HU, sure - take a stab - three left to act, in this big pot - betting is chip spew.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 PM

lil bit late but...check.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Thanks. Most helpful.