Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Very odd AK hand

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (14.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG doesn't show.
Hero has Kc As (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 16.25 BB. </font>

This hand really confused me when it was over, and I don't see how I ended up winning. He must of been on a draw and missed. Comments on all streets please.
NOTE: This hand was really on Games Grid(5 bet cap) even though the convertor shows it as Party Poker.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Very odd AK hand

I'm confused by:

1) the way you were able to raise preflop after it was capped - but then I saw your explanation about 5 bets (weird)
2) the fact that you posted results, but didn't show villan's hand
3) that you posted this in the Small Stakes forum, instead of the Micro-Limit forum

Aside from being a wise-ass, I'll comment on the hand itself:

The turn bet makes no sense to me. Villan has a piece of the flop, so he isn't going to fold. Worse still is the river bet for the same reason.

I don't understand how you won, but obviously he was on a stone bluff the whole time?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:53 PM

I'm taking the free turn card.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:59 PM

it looks kind of like AJ who can't throw away his A-high for one bet.

why did you bet into that many players with unimproved AK on the turn?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:09 PM

I agree with the 5bet but only because of the fishy tagalongs. headsup I'd tend to call his fourth bet with AKo.

I also would have raised the flop, again because of the stragglers.

shocking that your hand is good. he almost certainly has AJ -- otherwise it's Ax Kx Jx (x &lt; 9!) or some kind of connector (8 high or less!). what a whackjob!

I would take the free card on the turn regardless.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:14 PM

RAISE THE FLOP.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:17 PM

Flop: Well, we are not folding. Should we raise? We capped pre-flop and UTG bet into us anyway. We are probably behind. I think the chances of getting 3-bet are high compared with the chances of getting a free turn card. There are not really any backdoor draws to get out either. (Any reasonable backdoor flush draw is going to have a pair or straight draw to go with it, for example.) We could fold out something like A9, which would be great, but only if an ace would otherwise make us a winner, which seems unlikely. I think calling is better, but in a pot this big, it's hard not to raise.

Turn: To take the free card or not? We are even less likely than before to be ahead, so GIVING free cards doesn't bother us much. Plus we might have just picked up a bunch more outs and getting check-raised would stink. It is very strange that we were checked to, though. Still, I check behind.

River: No question (he said, ignoring the bizarre result). No worse hand will (should) call us here and no better hand will fold. Check behind.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:19 PM

hmmm.

maybe, but I'm not sure.

I'm not concerend about cleaning up Ace/King outs (pots to friggin big anyway to do that), and if I hit my Jack I'd prefer multiway.

I might get a free card, but it seems more likely I'll get three bet, and led into on the turn.

I don't think a "Free Card" play is good here.- the more I type the more I don't like the idea.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]