Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Making a living off One Tables

it is definitely the case that one CAN make a living on line (not me, by the way - i have a "regular" job).

are you in college? or out of college and unhappy with your job?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:42 PM

I am out of college, I just love poker. I dont love my job by any means. But I wouldnt say I am "unhappy". I make decent money, I likely wouldnt try to make a living online anyway, the only way I would do it was with live games. If I can just win my seat to teh WSOP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] haha
Old 06-08-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's all poker, if you play it better than the others you make money. Personally I get bored, so I go through phases. Sometimes I will play only sng's for a month, or only limit, only nl ring, etc. Sometimes I mix it up and change constantly. Once a year or so I will decide to learn a new game, omaha h/l was the last one, pot limit omaha may be the next one.

Lately all I've wanted to do is play MTT's, which I've been doing 2 to 4 at a time, 5 to 10 hours a day. The last few days have been really frustrating, with lots of chip lead then just miss the final table's happening. So, I'll probably play some sng's for a couple day's, or clear that party bonus at 5/10 limit.

The point is, you can make a living at any of it, you just have to put in the hours and play well. Saying I could make 10% more at limit (true) is pointless, because after a while I'm so bored with it my hours a week drop a ton. There's always something else I'd rather do once it gets too boring.

I play whatever interests me at the time and try to get 30 to 40 hours a week, playing when I'm reasonable fresh and interested. If i do that the money takes care of itself.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:02 PM

sounds like your in a good situation. keep your 9-5 (or 8-7, if you're like me) and develop your poker as a money making hobby. unless you're a very, very good player you're unlikely to be happier as a pro than as a person with a good regular job. but that's just my 2 cents, you'll know what's really best for you.

good luck out there.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:23 PM

I 8 table 109's due to the incredible low variance and high profit potential, 8 tabling i hardly ever lose for a day because i usually get 50 SnG's or more in, generally enough to ride out any bad luck and post a win of some sort and generally one in the general ballpark of my ROI, something that never seemed to happen playing limit hold'em when i did that for the rent money
Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 PM

I think, yes, it is possible to do quite well playing SNGs, especially if you do 8 or 12 tables at a time. Examples above are only discussing playing 4 tables of $22 SNGs! Imagine if you play 12 tables of $55 SNGs -- of course your ROI will go down as you play more tables and as your stakes go up, my belief is that the optimal playing level for a medium bankroll and one who doesn't want huge variance to play 12 tables of the $55s!

The reasoning is that these always fill up instantly, can be beat for a good ROI (15%ish), and the $100s and $200s tend to have ROIs that are almost 1/2 for each level up. Ex.: Playing the $100s will probably only earn you about $1 more per game for double the risk. $200s may even be worse because an ABC-12 table strategy won't work very well in those.

Assuming a 15% ROI in the $50s, 12 tabling continuously , with rakeback, you're looking at ~16*(55*.15+1.25) = $152 an hour! Even with a 5% ROI, you're looking at over $50 an hour, and with a perhaps most likely 10% ROI, you're looking at over $100 an hour, quite a nice salary of over $200K per year if played 8 hours a day every day.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming a 15% ROI in the $50s, 12 tabling continuously , with rakeback, you're looking at ~16*(55*.15+1.25) = $152 an hour! Even with a 5% ROI, you're looking at over $50 an hour, and with a perhaps most likely 10% ROI, you're looking at over $100 an hour, quite a nice salary of over $200K per year if played 8 hours a day every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

These numbers are truly droolworthy but seem far stretch for a player like me who is just starting to 3 table the 11$s.

The interesting thing about 4-tabling the $22s is that its seems within reach to give it a shot and see if its something that you can do and would like to do. Just get used to 1 more table and grind your bankroll up to $2k or so and use an extended summer vacation next year to get a decent sample size of the $22s to see if you stink or not and decide from there.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 PM

12-tabling the 55s continuously for 8 hours a day would make me suicidal in less than a week. Besides that, maintaining 15%+ is quite difficult while 12-tabling. You make mistakes you wouldn't make otherwise.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:28 PM

I think a living can be made off it.

I haven't been been playing one table tournaments all that long,and 4 tabling the 33s I am approximately a 10% ROI. Beats the hell out of working at Wawa [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These numbers are truly droolworthy but seem far stretch for a player like me who is just starting to 3 table the 11$s.

The interesting thing about 4-tabling the $22s is that its seems within reach to give it a shot and see if its something that you can do and would like to do. Just get used to 1 more table and grind your bankroll up to $2k or so and use an extended summer vacation next year to get a decent sample size of the $22s to see if you stink or not and decide from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Im in the same boat. How is it going for you three tabling? Do you find your results drop off a bit with one more table? just curious

We will now return to the thread