Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Nasty hands, AJ vs AQ, KJ vs KQ

I'd like to hear from anyone who has advice as to how to play these hands. It seems there's almost no way to keep yourself from losing a butt load of money. How can you fold a pair of Aces with a jack kicker?

I play against easy competition so most of the hands i play are much better than theirs, but the times when i'm slightly beat i just lose a ton.

I hope someone has some suggestions, it would save me big time.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Nasty hands, AJ vs AQ, KJ vs KQ

you can't fold it, but that doesn't mean you play it aggressively every time. You have to get a feel for when you are most likely beat with these dominated hands and not put extra bets in. A lot depends on your opponenets, and position. the best advice I can give is play these hands aggressively but be particularly responsive to raises, which is to say SLOW DOWN when raised!

k_squared
Old 06-07-2005, 03:45 PM

when you're in a pot with AJ and an ace comes on the flop you'll probably raise. If the guy comes back at you with a reraise you have to examine it closely. He obviously sees the ace on the board and either he has a hand that can beat it (like an ace with a better kicker) or thinks you're bluffing. The best thing to do in this situation is take your time and examine your opponent.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:54 AM

a couple things you have to consider when making youre preflop bets are position and whether or not the hands are suited. most likely, youll see all of these hands for the flop, but if youre in late position (or if you have something like AQs in early position) youre gonna want to raise. that parts easy enough.

these hands are largely dependent on the flop and the field, ie the nature/number of your opponents and trying to narrrow down what your opponents have. for instance, you have AJs in early position and you call, a player to your left raises and to his left reraises... when and if you see the flop, if you do not connect chances are you're beat and you can easily discard your hand if any player shows real aggression (this is just a generalization though... by no means set in stone). if you connect on the flop in a pot that was not yet raised, you most likely have the best hand. even if it was raised once you still probably have the best hand and should make bets for 1. value and 2. to protect your hand because top pair hands are still very vunerable (this may mean betting out, check-raising, etc)

also, you have to see what other outs you may have if you think you are beaten. possible straight draw? flush draw? both? this greatly increases your hands value and if you have something like middle pair with both an oes draw and a flush draw youre hand is extremely powerful. these hands are great because any flush or straight draw that comes with the flop is usually for the nuts.

but yes, if the flop hits you and you wind up losing, chances are itll be for alot. but you have to rememeber that one win is equal in money to several losses. if you wind up winning in a five-handed pot, you are winning money from five people. when you lose, you are only losing from one person (yourself). i dont know if that makes any sense... i think it kinda does.

dont ever sell these hands short, they are among the most profitable in the game. and yes, you will have top pair and get outkicked sometimes or an opponent will make two pair and beat you with his Q2 v. your AQ, but dont be afraid of losing with these hands. if your opponents knew what you had, they would be fearing you.

hope this helps.

--cheap
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 PM

yes it makes sense, and i appreciate your advice. I guess the problem is ignoring what i already know and going on a scared tilt. I tend to make the mistake of playing too cautious when i run into a run of bad cards. I actually don't like seeing KK or QQ when i'm on tilt.

i just wish there was some magical way to know when your hand is second best. i already used up all my disconnect protects and i'm a p.o.s. for using them.