Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:42 AM

Default AA.....Deception vs Value....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Capping this a must?? My thoughts: I'm OOP, I will probably have more success C/R the flop vs capping here.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks.

Ok, I whiffed. Missed bet counter: 6 SB

Turn: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls.

If it looks like AK...smells like AK....

Final Pot: 14 BB

Given that I collected 3 BB on the river, I still think I missed quite a few bets. Is there some value in deception here? Or does it lose its value once you run the pot is multiway?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: AA.....Deception vs Value....

Push your edges and don't get fancy.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:47 AM

Short and sweet.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:57 AM

I realize that most 3/6 players don't think as much as I sometimes do, but when I see someone call 3 cold (or 2.5 if you want to look at it that way) it sets off alarms in my head. There are times to slowplay AA by not capping (for example, when I open raise and a TAG 3-bets and it's heads up when it gets back to me), but here I think you're not fooling anyone into thinking you have a weak hand, and missing bets in the process.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:02 AM

Too fancy.

The only time I ever consider slowplaying AA is when a very aggressive player (but slightly observant) has been blind stealing me a lot. I think theres some value in that, but I dont see much in this.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:06 AM

I agree with the other posters. If you must add deception to your low-limit game, start capping with a range of hands, say TT or higher, AK, and JTs+.

Btw, against aggressive players in small stakes I find it works quite well to cap preflop and check-raise the flop. If you check the other aggressor almost always bets.