Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 09:35 PM

Default A correct read that backfired

6 handed at primas NL100 tables and I get A5 of spade on the button, I make it 4 to go and small blind makes it 7. BB fold and I call. I start the hand with 130 and he has me way coverd.

I have only seen him reraise wih AA/KK and then he tripled the raiser. I´m putting him on Aces, kings, or AK.

Flop is 998 rainbow and he leads out for 7 which I call.

Now I have him pegged for AK and I decide to take a stab at it on the turn.

Turn brings a second spade (the duece) and he checks, I bet 12 and he calls.

River is blank and I make it 24, he waits like forever and then calls showing AK and taking it down.

Was my play that easy to read?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: A correct read that backfired

I don't think so, but I can't see HIS notes on YOU! 8)

Note on him: CALLING STATION, won't let go of AK.

>TW<
Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 PM

There's a lot to work with here.

[ QUOTE ]
I get A5 of spade on the button

[/ QUOTE ]
Trouble hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I make it 4 to go

[/ QUOTE ]
OK.

[ QUOTE ]
small blind makes it 7. BB fold and I call

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... not sure why you're calling here.

[ QUOTE ]
I´m putting him on Aces, kings, or AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK now I'm DEFINITELY not sure why you're calling here. You're either behind, way behind, or way way behind.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is 998 rainbow and he leads out for 7 which I call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? Which hand are you putting him on that you're deciding a call is the right move here?

[ QUOTE ]
Now I have him pegged for AK and I decide to take a stab at it on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
This, I don't understand at all. Continuation bets are, by their nature, intended to be indistinguishable between when one has it and when one doesn't. A half-pot bet when first to act doesn't really signal weakness or strength to me. But maybe I'm missing something.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn brings a second spade (the duece) and he checks, I bet 12 and he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
12 into a pot of 28 or so? This doesn't really show any strength here, in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
River is blank and I make it 24, he waits like forever and then calls showing AK and taking it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
24 into a pot of about 50? Not bad, I kind of like it.

I'll be honest, I think this is a pretty poorly-played hand. How do you call a preflop bet when you think you're that far behind? The purpose of making a read is to inform you of potentially bad plays... and this is a huge one. I understand the relatively deep stacks (130 BB)... but I don't think you stack this guy with a flush, or if he has KK and an A comes down. Nor do I think you stack him if he has AK and you hit A5x on the flop, though this is about the only scenario that would get me to want to see a turn.

Personally, I would have folded to the EP reraise, ESPECIALLY if my read then becomes KK or AA or AK. Barring that, I fold to the flop bet since I missed my two-spade or A5 flop that I needed. If I'm REALLY interested in taking it down, I think I'd raise the flop bet to $28. Then at least, he's getting a bit worse than 2:1 on a call there. You couldn't know he'd take an unimproved AK to the river and call a 1/2 pot bet with it there, but jeez... there were so many -EV plays in this hand, in my opinion, that you can hardly consider it a bad beat...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 PM

yea, figured I schould have made a note out of it, but the hand botherd me and I shut down the window =(.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 PM

So you read that you were completely toasted and still put money into the pot?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Thanks, really great input.

Just to clearify some things I missed (it´s 4 in the morning and I need sleep).

I call preflop because I´m fairly sure he has AK (he triple reaised with aces and kings) and with position I have a nice chance of taking it down unless a A or K falls.

On the flop I sensed that it was AK I was up against because when someone reraises preflop he most of the time either check calls, checkraises or bets pot on the flop, this was a huge sign of weakness.

Thinking back I guess I schould have raised the flop and given it up if he called.

My small turn bet was just me trying to establish some credibility. I checked the flop and now there is duece on the turn, why would somone bet pot? I think that looks like a steal. I was representing something like tens or jacks scared of the preflop reraise.

I thought there where no way he could call my river bet as it looked so nice ( in my eyes ).
Old 06-07-2005, 10:34 PM

Yea, because I "know" what he had.