Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 05:24 PM

Default My 10/20 SH Variance is WAY too high--help me with a complete retool

Hi Guys,

I took a recent 230BB hit at 10/20 6MAX. This followed a 125BB hit at 15/30 that had moved me back down to 10/20. I am now breakeven over my last 13K hands. Prior to these big hits I felt like I was all that. Now I'm back on planet earth and recognize once again that my game has significant flaws. These are not the first big hits I have taken and this is the reason for my post.

I really hope you can help me here. My SD over my last 23k hands at 10/20 6MAX is 21.6 BB/100. (I have a similarly high SD over another 80k+ hands at lower levels.)

I know my game needs work in a lot of areas, however I am looking to depend on poker income a little more in the future and want to lower my variance ASAP! I have a few different ideas about specific leaks in my game but want to let you guys take a look at my stats before I suggest any specific areas for analysis. I've spent some time putting this together, as well as a few more things for later posts regarding specific problems I am aware of, so please take a minute to give me your thoughts!

I welcome all comments. Please help me out!

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to this next step.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: My 10/20 SH Variance is WAY too high--help me with a complete reto

I'm not an SH expert (yet), but I think swings like these are inevitable with the preflop-LAG style you're playing. Maybe you should tighten up if you prefer less swings? And the 10/20 is generally more aggressive game too than 5/10 for example..
Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: My 10/20 SH Variance is WAY too high--help me with a complete retool

You are too loose preflop and postflop. You are too passive postflop.

Lost Wages
Old 06-07-2005, 05:58 PM

For some reason this image didn't appear in the original post:

Old 06-07-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are too loose preflop and postflop. You are too passive postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-07-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: My 10/20 SH Variance is WAY too high--help me with a complete retool

i am not an expert by any means either, but is my humble opinion. you are too loose preflop..get closer to 28 vpip..you showdown too much, needs to be closer to 37. also, do you cold call raises? my pfr is around 13 btw. and get your agress factor around 2.
also, i would like to post my stats like you did. how do i get that poker tracker image on my post?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Lets get more specific here. If I am too loose perflop, I am I know, where is it. Across the board? Looking at my position stats, I feel I should def be winning more UTG. I think I need to figure out more clearly what I will and wont rasie UTG.

Nate the great says 30/20 is the way to go. I think he is right and so do many others. Now I'm no Nate the Great postlfop, but i try. I was playing quite loose, maybe 35-37% VP$IP which resulted in my 230BB downswing. I am currently playing more like 31-32% VP$IP. I'd like to be 29-31 longterm if I could improve my postflop play.

Do you think my extra 2.71% VP$IP is what is costing me 2BB/100 I could be earning?

As for being too pasive postflop, does anyone have any reccomendations/links to old posts for good postflop aggression numbers to go with a 30% VP$IP?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:24 PM

if you think your variance is too high.... this game probably isn't for you. see below.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 PM

nice graph stinkypete...everyone else--post more charts like that and make me feel better.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 PM

you bet or raise 53% of the time after you were the preflop raiser. try to get that higer. also of your flop actions you call 23% adn 20% on turn. that may be too high. however your river agr. is not too bad..ive seen worse..mine is 2.6...bet the river more for value...
try running a filter..wtsd and won, see if there are time when you have top pair or better and could have collected more bets. value betting the turn and river are important. you have to get paid when you make your hand. IMHO