Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: So im a new guy to Poker and oh BOY did I get eaten on line.. advi

If I was you I would deposit $50 into neteller and start playing the .02/.04 tables at PokerStars.

Buy the books
Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones
Internet Texas Holdem by Mathew Hilger
Getting Started in Holdem by Ed Miller
Small Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller

Read them in that order.

Buy Pokertracker to track your progress.

Read all you can on this forum

Become a winning player at the lower limits and build your skills and confidence. Move up in limits as your bankroll and skills increase.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was you I would deposit $50 into neteller and start playing the .02/.04 tables at PokerStars.

[/ QUOTE ]

My god, yes. We must learn to crawl before we can walk, walk before we can run and run before we can fly... OK, too far.

Anyway, slow and steady wins the race (have I reached my cliche limit?). Start at the micros, build your bankroll and experience while you study all those great books. When you're a consistant winner and have the roll to move up, move up. I'm sure I've read that somewhere before. Hmmm, but where?

JunkHead

PS I just kicked ass on Stars .02/.04 this weekend to the tun of 30BB/Hr. I'm off to the 3/6 tables!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy seems like he can obviously afford a little more than $50 for 'lessons', so I'd advise against starting quite that low. Ideally, IMO, a rank begginner should deposit $200 into paradise poker, claim the granny bonus for $100, and grind it out at .25/50- where the bets are big enough to sting a little when you lose a big pot, but small enough to keep even a bad player from losing a signifigant sum. the bonus money should pad losses or increse winnings, making the play pretty damn risk-free. Additionally, if a player does becopme a winner, they're gonna be kicking themselves for ever playing the nano-limits where bonus money cannot be cleared. even a breakeven player (gotta be pretty good to even beat the rake) can make signifigant ammounts of money chasing bonuses, probably to the tune of $600+/month on a 1k bankroll (party reloads and codes, empire reloads, cryptos, occasional stars and paradise money, sign up offers, affiliate offers, etc, etc...), and a total noob should be able to take $200 and turn it into a grand in as little as three months, assuming 30 hrs/month breakeven bonus hunting at .50/1... and BANG! you're profitable.

Poker is all about risk/reward, and those that risk very little will be waiting for their reward while those that risk just a little more will be making money sooner (or losing more, i suppose.)

[ QUOTE ]
PS I just kicked ass on Stars .02/.04 this weekend to the tun of 30BB/Hr. I'm off to the 3/6 tables!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

move up ASAP. (not to 3/6, of course)
Old 06-06-2005, 10:20 PM

I'm not sure. I only have a bankroll of 5,250 BB's right now at .02/.05. Maybe I should wait. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JunkHead