Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: AK blows

[ QUOTE ]
Folding here means you're not willing to play premium hands elsewhere when someone wants you to commit moneyp

[/ QUOTE ]

People dont know what i fold.

folding ak here, also, hardly sets a standard for futrue pf play where you'll brin g it in for a raise with XX and fold to a reraise.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:44 AM

I'm positing this situation in a full 9 or 10 handed ring game. Of course short handed it's an easy call or reraise.

For those advocating playing some "post-flop poker" by simply calling the reraise, I really don't see how one can get away from a A or K high flop without losing a ton of chips (when you happen to be beat). If some of you are suggesting bluffing at scary flops/turns/river in the hope of getting the villian to lay down, what kind of fold equity do you think you really have against an unknown reraiser who doesn't know you?

Like some others have mentioned, I'd be much happier calling the reraise in this spot with 77 or 56s than AK.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:54 AM

People dont know what i fold.

I think it's fine for you to say that, but the reality of this situation is that AK is a very big hand, and you're laying it down for ONE reraise that isn't even all that big a reraise. It's like 7.5% of your stack, and not even 30% of what's in the pot.

They don't know you fold it, but if you're not willing to play that big a hand for that money, what are you willing to play?

Like I said, small pots, never build big ones...

- C -
Old 06-04-2005, 01:57 AM

maybe you play better then me but AKo is not a big hand
Old 06-05-2005, 09:44 PM

>>>You gotta know when you're beat and know when to release a hand and know how to push your edges and know how to get paid off. Like RBK said...you have to know how to play post-flop.<<<

I was in the "fold" camp, but you are making some very good points. I think what tilts the balance towards "fold" for most of us is the fear of running into AA and flopping a K. Although this doesn't happen that often. If we assume villain 3 bets AA,KK,QQ and JJ, you will run into AA only about 1/6 of the time.

But still HOW do you get away from this without a pretty big hit to your stack? Assume he is going to make a 2/3 continuation bet (2/3 of $96 = $64) on the flop. What is your approach? CR about $200? Lead out and shutdown if called?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 PM

simply put, it'll be very hard to play AK OOP vs preflop 3 bettor because

you are 2:1 to flop a pair
and at times you do flop a pair, you will win small pots (vs KK~JJ/AQ) or lose big ones vs (AA on kxx board/sets).
Old 06-05-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So unless someone would like to add something that's legitimately different from what's been said,

[/ QUOTE ]

AK suited is pretty...like a daisy

ALL-IN YOU FELINE FEMININE REFERENCE!!!!!
All I have to say is grow some ka-ju-nas and assert yourself. Give action to get action. (psst... you still might win!)

There was this one time...at band camp...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:58 PM

Exalted Pooh-Bah you have an excellent point. As I re-read the previous thread that I was replying to, I realize that my response doesn't make any sense. Actually I completely agree with the response and in anything except LP I'm going to limp along with all the other hands hoping to catch a piece of the flop.