Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 04:17 AM

Default I dont get fancy often.

My notes on button are: raises k4o utg. 66/26 but I'm not sure how he plays postflop havent played with him too much. BB was on 3 tables with me at the time, and very recently saw me played a pot where I checkraised the turn with trips against him. I was pretty much 100% sure he had a jack. Am I good or do I suck.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

-Mike

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
Old 06-06-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: I dont get fancy often.

do you ever, ever, ever expect him to fold a jack?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:44 AM

I would fold the turn when button bets.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:38 AM

Why the raise on the turn?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 06-06-2005, 09:24 AM

I think you should stick with your not getting fancy often. For this to work, you have to fulfil the parlay that the button was call-reraising the flop with some a flush draw/QT/some random goofy hand and not a set or two pair which is far more likely, and that the BB will fold a hand he deemed strong enough to call the turn with after being fully aware of the button's weird flop play (which is unlikely because he can only put you on JJ/99 here or an aggressively played pair), and that the button never 3-bets his draw on the turn (and given that your hope is that he does have a draw which he call-reraised, we know he's tricky, so he might do this), and that if the button does have a draw, he doesn't hit it. And any time one of these isn't the case, you spew lots of bets. So I don't like it.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:41 AM

I understand that it was 5 handed, but this is a very ugly spot to raise K9o UTG. The time to do that is when the people behind you are reasonably tight - here you will often get a call or 3bet from a very tricky player and you will be out of position for the rest of the hand. Also - because of his call, the blinds will be more likely to call with more hands, and K9o is not a multiway hand.

Flop is fine.

On the turn, I see 3 different ways of playing it, and the way you played it was not one of them. I will rank them in order of preference.

Bet out into the button planning on calling a raise, hoping to fold the BB - the button will raise with wacky hands here, so I don't like check raising and folding to a 3bet, especially in such a massive pot. If button raises, it will put pressure on the BB and hopefully make him fold a jack. If he cold calls 2, then it's an easy check-fold to a bet-call, and call to a bet-fold on the river.

second option I think is check-fold the turn, it's pretty clear the BB has you beat. However, the reason I don't like check-folding is that he could be check raising QT or clubs.

Third option is calling down. This option I don't really like because I think without a read, BB has you beat more than often here and you never put pressure on him to fold.

I like my first option the best because in addition to putting pressure on BB to fold if button raises, it's entirely possible that both of these guys are on draws, and it lets you stop them from getting a freecard.

-DrG
Old 06-06-2005, 10:03 AM

I dont think the problem is raising K9, its that he cant fold it for 2 bets when it's clearly drawing thin.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think the problem is raising K9, its that he cant fold it for 2 bets when it's clearly drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm please clarify/elaborate - hero is never faced with 2 bets.

Do you mean he can't fold to the 3bet after his c/r because the pot is massive and he might have odds at 13-1?

A bit confused

-DrG
Old 06-06-2005, 11:13 AM

Fold the turn. Whenever a LAG is playing tricky, warning signals should be blaring in your head.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:41 AM

Sorry very poorly worded by me. After the third bet goes in the turn, hero is beat. He should only put in more if his hand improves, but instead he goes for a c/r when no one is folding a better hand, especially given his description of the opponent. The turn is just about as easy as check-folds come.

Gabe