Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Default play my AA to soft ?

I've only seen this player open up a raise and cap preflop with AK and TT-AA

Was slowing down here stupid ? By the turn I figured I'm ahead of AK and QQ, and behind TT, JJ, KK, and tied with AA. In hindsight if I lead with a bet on the turn, he probably folds. But I wonder if my check was me being a big pussy (and I'm really trying to avoid that).

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Ad (one pair, aces).
UTG has Qd Qs (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.50 BB. </font>
Old 06-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: play my AA to soft ?

Looks fine to me. After the turn you're ahead of one possible hand, and that hand's not gonna give you too much action. Even if the king didn't fall, I go into calldown mode on the turn.

Don't include results -- it taints advice.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:47 PM

Board got worse and worse. You got your money in when you were most likely to be ahead then slowed down.

Nice hand.

Results don't matter so don't include them.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:51 PM

ok great, thanks guys
Old 06-04-2005, 04:58 PM

Looks perfect to me. The flop action indicated fairly strongly that your opponent doesn't have AK which is the only hand you're going to get action from if you bet out.

So it's a situation where if you bet and you're ahead your opponent may very well fold and if you're behind you get raised.

Nice hand.

-WT
Old 06-04-2005, 09:23 PM

I play it the same way but with my cards recently I'd lose for sure. Glad you won
Old 06-04-2005, 10:17 PM

It looks good to me. Within the range you gave, you're behind more often than not on the turn once we take the flop action into account (though I'm not completely ruling out AK, as it would have two overs plus a gutshot).

Anyway, you're behind 9 combos total (KK, JJ, TT) and ahead of 10 combos (AK, QQ), but I think we should discount AK somewhat at this point. Plus, getting raised on the turn would just make chasing a set/gutshot expensive for you.

Also, Villain isn't folding hands within the AA-TT, AK range on the turn. Since you're likely the one who's drawing, I think risking giving a free card is the way to go here. (Plus, I don't see people capping the flop and then checking the turn heads-up a whole lot at 3/6 anyway.)
Old 06-05-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't include results -- it taints advice.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed. It'd be interesting to post this again in a week or so with the title "AA losing to a better pair" or something, and not including the results. See if everybody agrees you should fold. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Sam