Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Hello,Stone! But U are helping seniors to combat future mental dementi

like Altzheimer and other mental diseases that afflict other seniors who do not practise any mental skills. Hence,U are contributing to the well-being of society when u play with us seniors. Sure,we will pay a price. But it's worth it to extend one's mental proficiency. U force us to think; and when we think,we exercise our brain. Hence,we extend our mental life.
I'm a young senior who does not expect to have any early mental deficienties. I still work mathematical problems,play poker,and my mind is just as sharp as when it was 20 years ago.
I credit this healthy condition to my exercise in both poker and mathematics.
SittingBull
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Hello,AL! Working on a degree because one wants a good job...

is NOT the CORRECT reason to attend college. The reason for studying an academic discipline is that one ENJOYS the field of study--NOT THINKING IN TERMS OF MORE MONEY AND A GOOD JOB. Sure,it has been proven that MOST college grads earn more money than MOST high school grads.
However,there are many high school grads who are trade school grads that earn much more than college grads.
So if one is REALLY interested in making MONEY,than I would recommend becoming certified in 2 trades. Then 10 years from now,compare his salary with a typical college graduate.
I believe that life is too short NOT to follow one's dreams.
When one is young,he/she is able to test the waters for awhile. Allow him to see where his dreams will lead him.
Maybe he will run into a brick wall and become a Vegas cab driver. But maybe NOT. Or in his/her discovery stage,may find a different route. I believe Jennifer Hermann dropped out of the PH.D. program to become a full-time pro. It doesn't seem as if she regreted her decision. However,I do not know what her current status is and her current thinking is at present.
I think the most important point is to strive for an activity,job,career,Etc. that one will be HAPPY with and can sustain a reasonable living depending upon his living style . Of course,if he envisions marriage,children,Etc.,he WILL need security and a well-thought out plan.
It's up to him to make it work.
SittingBull
Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Hello,Poker! UR post agrees with mine....

U are going to college,grad school,Etc. BECAUSE U ENJOY LEARNING. That's precisely the CORRECT reason for continuing your education for a lengthly period of time. U do NOT see MONEY,good JOb,Etc.
Congratulation on hitting this one on the nose!
SittingBull
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: All these college kids who want to go pro

I'm 19 and I go to college, and obviously play poker. Basically, I see poker as an excellent opportunity for supplemental income that I can use hopefully for luxuries that I may not otherwise be able to afford. I think this goal is realistic.

I HAVE, however flirted with the idea of quitting my job where I make ~9 an hour and just playing poker for income until I graduate. I don't think I'll ever end up doing this, though. I also think that there is a HUGE difference between playing for extra pocket money during college and playing to pay the bills afterwards, which is fairly obvious...

Basically, poker is fine as a hobby, and should remain a part of our lives as we mature and grow. But we have to make sure that it remains that and we don't let it get in the way of bettering ourselves. I'd say that out of the phlethora (sp?) of us out there, maybe a couple dozen will be playing poker professionally in ten years. I don't really want myself to be one of them. I have other plans...

Talk about a tangent. This is what happens when I start with a vague idea of what I want to talk about at 2:45 am. At least I don't have class tomorrow... Summertime is a college poker players best friend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 03:59 AM

I don't really agree that you contribute NOTHING to society. Don't you pay taxes? Don't you spend money at your local shops/grocery stores/etc? Don't sell yourself so short man!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 AM

Exactly. And for good reason.

When I'm hiring I have 2 main objectives. The first is to find a qualified person. The second is to do it for the least cost.

As a rule I will find the person much quicker if they have a degree from a top school. Sure, there are exceptions. But, if I can see on average 5 people with top credentials to fill the slot instead of 100 or so without on the outside chance that I will find that "miracle" person, I will opt for the former.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Hello,Poker! UR post agrees with mine....

[ QUOTE ]
U are going to college,grad school,Etc. BECAUSE U ENJOY LEARNING. That's precisely the CORRECT reason for continuing your education for a lengthly period of time. U do NOT see MONEY,good JOb,Etc.
Congratulation on hitting this one on the nose!
SittingBull

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're NOT being sarcastic because yes I do just enjoy learning/education. In fact, I think it would be a great job to play professional poker and also take classes as a part-time student.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Poker has a huge allure to college students. It beats basically 97% of all other jobs we could get right now AND it makes studying easier. Before I started playing poker seriously, I was selling shoes and telemarketing. Not only that I was working between 35 and 50 hours a week just to afford school and pay for a POS apartment shared with 3 other people.

Once I discovered poker, I only had to work 2-3 hours a day to make twice as much as I was before. Also I no longer have to waste all the time/mental effort of going to work and can instead stay in. My grades went up and my lifestyle improved also. Next month I'm moving to an apartment I no longer have to share with rats and cockroaches.

I'm one of those people who is a "pro" for right now who will end up making between 25-30k this year. I don't see it as seduction of becoming a poker pro forever; this is simply ends and means to me.

The only downside to this lifestyle for now is not getting enough work experience to put on a resume. To remedy this I started working with a volunteer organization over the summer. I'm really happy with my life right now and I feel like I owe so much of it to poker. I know I don't fit with your exact subject here because even though I'm living as a "pro" (I don't like using that term as applies to me really), I have no delusions of continuing this lifestyle once I find something better. But I think this is the point. Many college students like me who are living as pros and making less than 50k a year believe like me. That this isn't a life calling, just a cool high paying job that we can take for right now while we wait to begin our real lives.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Its like this

let's see finish degree start entry level 30-40k a year listening to the orders of last years jackass that makes 35-45k worrying everday how to make it or if the job will get outsourced to some jagoff who will do it for 19-26k.

OR

X table Y/Z limit (whatever the magic #'s are). Make 50-100k "working" 6-8 hours 20 days a month. All the revenues you produce are your( and IRS's), answer to no one. If the online pool should dry up (LOL), play B@M with your 100k BR. Did I mention answer to no one.

Its a wonder why 40 somethings who are disgusted with the corporate environement aren't just walking out the door and playing.

Oh yeah, we are.
SB
Old 06-05-2005, 03:19 AM

Your actions seem quite intelligent to me. Revot, I, and others object to students' dropping out of college.

Regards,

Al