Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 06:55 AM

Default How do you play QJs in short handed games?

Hand 1:
5-handed Party NL 400, just sat down, no real reads, villain has me covered
Hero is on the button with QcJc
CO limps, Hero makes it $12, SB (Villain) calls, CO calls
($40 pot) flop Jh7s7h checked to hero, hero bets $28, SB calls
($96 pot) turn As Villain checks Your play?

Hand 2:
Similar scenario, different table: 5-handed party NL 400, just sat down, villain also at full buy-in
Hero has QdJd in the BB, folded to villain on the button who makes it $16, SB folds, Hero calls
($34 pot) flop 6cAd8d Hero checks, Villain bets $32, Hero calls Turn 2s Your play?

I don't think I played these hands well, but I'm not sure what the correct line is for me...How do you play these?

Thanks

-A
Old 06-04-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: How do you play QJs in short handed games?

Keep in mind I always lean towards the side of aggression, especially in cash games.

Hand 1, is he the type who will call you on that flop with AQ? The turn actually seems pretty good for you here, because now you can make a smallish bet, and he won't dare raise you without the goods. I can't see checking it, because then you're giving him free reign to bet as much as he wants on the river to put you to the test. Checking means giving up in my opinion. Bet around $40, he might lay down a J which you'd otherwise split with, and if he raises it's easy for you to get away from.

Hand 2 against button raisers shorthanded, I will usually throw in a reraise with QJs. I also think you should've check-raised the flop, because he'll lay down a lot of hands that have you beat, and he has position on you which makes it very difficult to peel on the turn. Assuming you just called preflop and check-called the flop, well..you kind of have to check again on the turn and hope he doesn't bet too much. Those are the types of problems you face when you don't take control of a hand, which is why I suggest playing more aggressively.