Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Improvements

I am 19 years old, I've been playing for almost a year and half now and I have made many great strides toward becoming an elite player, but I have a very, very long way to go. During the last year I have made these key improvements, in no particular order:

1. My ability to read players has improved drastically. While not always accurate, I have made a lot of good folds and great calldowns based on the way a player bets or based on a tell I have picked up during play.

2. I used to overvalue pocket pairs such as 66 and 77. I play these a lot better now. I can easily fold them PF, which sounds easy but for me it was hard to fold even 33 PF a year ago.

3. I understand the odds very well as far as which hands I'm likely against and my chances for the win. For example pair+flush draw vs AA or OESD vs 2 pair.

4. Making the right play is much more important to me now than it was one year ago. Back then I was obsessed with rabbit hunting and was too results oriented. With the help of 2+2 and several good books I have debunked this notion that what card "would have hit" matters. I want to make +EV plays now and let the long run dictate my profit.

5. I also am less prone to tilt, although one bad read or misplayed hand (AA or KK especially) can set me off.

However, I am looking to become a much more complete player. For example, I need to work on my patience. My swings are very high and I can easily go broke one day and be up $1500 the next, playing $1-2 or $5-5 NL cash games. I have been thinking of ways to get better, and they include:

1. Buying Pokertracker. I play online a lot more now that I did a year ago, and I think PT will help me plug some leaks.

2. Keep reading cardplayer, 2+2, etc.

3. Play with a rakeback (I play on champs now which offers me at least some rakeback).

4. Be more consistent. This means playing less when I'm tired or hungry, and always being focused on playing my very best, A game. I think if I can put everything together I have a good shot at becoming an elite player in the future.

Anyway I am just looking for some feedback on how to improve my overall game and what some seasoned players did during their first 1-2 years that really got them going. I am about a break even player overall, but lately I have erased about $3500 in losses from last summer and early this year. Advice on rakeback would be especially helpful (where to play/sign up). Thanks.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Improvements

go all in

(really drunk right now)

-SmileyEH
Old 06-04-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Improvements

he does that a lot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]