Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Reverse Isolation of a Maniac

This is a question I've had for quite awhile and it came up in a session the other night. I'm at a table and out of position against a maniac. He's on my left or one seat over to my left. This maniac will auto 3-bet my raise a large percentage of the time and will play just as recklessly post-flop. In these situations, where I count on him 3-betting my raise a large percentage of the time (40%+), I find myself raising a lot lighter and much more suspect hands in early and midposition.

An example, I pick up A7o UTG+1, I have a tighter player to my left and the maniac is in the CO. I find myself raising this because I can count on a three-bet by the maniac to get me HU. Is this a terrible play?

If people would try this type of "reverse isolation" play, what is the lightest you'll raise in EP, or MP with the maniac either directly after you or one seat over. If there is a player in between you and the maniac, how does he factor in to what you raise? How do the players after the maniac factor in. Even loose player will fold a lot of stuff to a 3-bet. Lets also assume people aren't yet adjusting to the maniacs 3-bets and aren't cold-calling with random stuff.

I've been pushing things like A5s, ~55, K8s, Q9s, in EP when I know the maniac will 3-bet my raises and am wondering if others do the same.

I'd like to here others thoughts. Thanks
Old 06-04-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Reverse Isolation of a Maniac

I think Ax where x is lower than an 8 may be pushing it a little here. I also don't think I'd do this with pairs lower than 77.

What does the maniac do if there are limpers before him?

I think you should be playing fewer hands in this spot in general, especially because you will get run into the nuts more often with a tight player on your left.

I think what you want to do is change seats to get between the maniac and the tight player. If you can't do this, you may be better off just finding a different game.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what you want to do is change seats to get between the maniac and the tight player. If you can't do this, you may be better off just finding a different game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, this is the one and this is thinh I didn't want to hear. We can't change seats one of those guys where there is no way I'm leaving the table. I'd rather play him OOP, its just too good.

[ QUOTE ]
What does the maniac do if there are limpers before him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not worried about this either. I'm always opening, maniac is either to my left or one seat over from that.

[ QUOTE ]
think Ax where x is lower than an 8 may be pushing it a little here. I also don't think I'd do this with pairs lower than 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this isn't much different from normal in my mind. I raise 77 UTG and will often raise with 66 in MP.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:21 AM

Let's try this...

I'm assuming that any hand you play, you'll play maniac to the river, assuming it's HU.

Let's also assume that everyone will always fold to the maniacs 3 bet, and that he will always do it for you.

I guess the hands that you would want to play would be basically the same kinds of hands you would move all in with in a tournament with a short stack.

Another way to approach this is just to play as if you were actually HU and raise any 2 cards 9 or higher, Any A, Any K, Any PP.

I think I would tend to dump suited connectors lower than 87 unless I had a solid read on him postflop.