Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 10:43 PM

Default KK Call or Fold?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (9 handed) converter

MP2 ($536)
MP3 ($460.45)
Hero ($795.25)
Button ($972.80)
SB ($285.50)
BB ($217.25)
UTG ($800.70)
UTG+1 ($709.55)
MP1 ($431.65)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $90</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $252</font>, Hero calls $162.

Flop: ($513) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $457.55 (All-In)</font>, Hero ??

I have played 60 hands since this player has sat down. This is the first hand he has raised and has only played 14% to this point. Should I have just pushed pre-flop?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: KK Call or Fold?

Pushing preflop would be bad. This flop is a very easy fold with the 3-flush not in your suit.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This flop is a very easy fold with the 3-flush not in your suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? Surely villian either has aces or a lower pair, if he has aces you're behind, if he has QQ or worse with a spade you're a fair bit ahead. What does 3flush not in your suit do to make a difference here?

Personally I'd call here, since you might as well after getting in this deep and likely still being ahead. Seems very difficult to fold to less than a pot sized push.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM

I'd actually be inclined to fold preflop. A tight player putting in a third raise preflop most likely means AA, especially when you're holding KK.

On the flop, you're either way behind AA or AsKs (probably unlikely here), or you're slightly ahead of QsQx. I think he has Aces, so the 3-flush is moot here, but it just makes the fold easier. If you had the Ks, a call would be ok, but without it, I don't like it.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd actually be inclined to fold preflop. A tight player putting in a third raise preflop most likely means AA, especially when you're holding KK.

On the flop, you're either way behind AA or AsKs (probably unlikely here), or you're slightly ahead of QsQx. I think he has Aces, so the 3-flush is moot here, but it just makes the fold easier. If you had the Ks, a call would be ok, but without it, I don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't entirely like the PF play, but I feel you can't fold for less than the pot on the flop. He's more likely to have red queens than AsKs, so I don't see how you can really go around folding here.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's more likely to have red queens than AsKs

[/ QUOTE ]

eh?

only if by 'red queens' you mean all the combinations of pocket queens which do not contain a spade. Otherwise they are exactly the same likelihood.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:07 AM

Muck it, and I don't think it's a close decision.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:35 AM

I go around folding here because I put him squarely on Aces. It's possible, although less likely, that he has Queens, but with the 3-flush flop in a different suit, even Queens aren't doing so poorly against me. The flop only makes me want to fold more; folding preflop would be even better.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:54 AM

The only time ive ever folded KK preflop is when this tightass(first hand hed played in over an hour) re-reraised me..5-5 nl i raise 40, he makes 100, i make 300, he raises 900, at that point i might as well have 7-2.When he raises to 250 odd preflop, insta-muck. I really dont think you have implied odds either, both your hands are face up. If a king comes, hes folding.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the first hand he has raised and has only played 14% to this point. Should I have just pushed pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your question should be: "should I have folded preflop?"