Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Kickers and overcards

Here are my thoughts:

You are putting your "sometimes aggresive" late position opponent on a small range of hands. Of these hands you are ahead 4:2. ( JT, 9T, 8T, maybe even 7T you win against AT KT you lose against) notice that this range of hands doesn't include the many hands that aren't top pair your opponent might bet. Once you include these hands, the chance that your hand is good has gone up considerably. One thing about spread limit games is that it allows you to capitalize on your loose opponents' mistakes by betting/raising the max, which I think you should have done on the flop here.

I would have bet the turn. Your hand is still very vulnerable. If you are raised you can reevaluate the situation. But why give a free card here when you don't need to?

Hand 2,

I don't know how big the pot is preflop but the max bet would have gotten your loose opponent to make a bigger mistake calling your bet. IMO, this is an easy laydown. Once you get raised on the turn how much value do you think your hand still has?

Hope this helps,

Allan