Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: May\'s results

neiman marcus cookies are the only acceptable choice, unless someone has the recipe for the girlscout cookie known as samoas.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Against the following pushing range its +.1 to call:

22+,A2+,K2+,Q2s+,Q6o+,J7s+,J9o+,T8s+,98s

I had the feeling that my opponent was a solid player and would be looser than this pushing. I was correct when they turned over T5o. This means there was a decent chance they are pushing any 2 or at least a large % of their hands, in which case folding is utterly absurd.

Everytime you make a fold like this against someone pushing any 2, you are being exploited worse than you can imagine. It's +2.4% to call against any 2 in a situation where you are playing for only 20% EV. Meanwhile we are on a forum where a large majority of people suggest to push any 2 every hand once the blinds are this high, which leads me to suggest that others are doing so as well.

Meanwhile when you happen to be up against someone with a too tight range like: 22+,A2s+,A3o+,KTs+,KJo+,QJs
you are only -.5% EV, and honestly I felt this guy would be signifigantly looser based on some factors, not to mention one of them being that they pushed the very first hand headsup.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:36 PM

cool. thanks for the writeup. i'll have to go do some more looking at hands like JTs in particular for heads up situations.

i'm serious about the NM cookies btw.

citanul
Old 06-02-2005, 06:37 PM

It's okay I don't think that folding is bad or anything, I just don't like being exploited by the push monkeys.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:40 PM

My last 700 tournies for those who think the 50s are softer than the 30s:

500 30+3$
1 84
2 44
3 62
4 54
5 66
6 62
7 50
8 37
9 26
10 15

ROI +23%
+3780$

200 50+5$
1 16
2 22
3 25
4 33
5 25
6 21
7 21
8 17
9 11
10 9

ROI -11%
-1200$
Old 06-02-2005, 06:40 PM

My only problem with this reasoning is that you're not "not letting yourself get exploited," really. I dunno, I mean, against someoen who's very loose, yeah, again, I didn't realize how good JTs really was here, but if the guy is very loose from the button and too tight from the sb, why not wait til you're farther ahead of his range? (I'm not sure what beyond the obvious is farther ahead or anything, but still.)

I'm having trouble following a bit of the logic is all. Why not do: He's over aggressive, but also likely too tight, so let him hang himself for real, while you keep pace from the button?

citanul
Old 06-02-2005, 06:45 PM

Any type or brand of cookie within reason, so no Saffron cookies with 24k gold flake or no home-made cookies from your Aunt Beulah, and I'm sorry to say, no "medicinal" cookies.

Where do you track those stats - on your own or with a program?

thx

I am letting myself get exploited if he pushes any 2 and has a proper calling range. Once again I often ignore details such as exploiting my opponent's mistakes, and this can be debatable. Firstly I always try to make sure that they can't exploit me by just pushing and knowing I will fold too many hands. If I fold hands like JTs my opponents are now correct to push any 2 cards on me I believe. I don't want to make this correct for them, especially when you face the same players often like you do at the higher buyins.

Anyway it's harder to get a hand much better than JTs in the BB facing an allin against any 2 cards or a very loose range.

Basically I try to make the mathematically best play based on the current hand, without taking into account the assumption that I will be able to crush them in future hands, because everytime someone takes this approach with me, they are basically giving me money because my calling range will not be as tight as theyd hope.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:48 PM

Curtains, against a SB push monkey do you ever pass on a slightly +EV call HU so that you can make a greater +EV call in the future, or are blinds eating you too quickly to even consider that?