Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: The best way to prevent tilting at a live game.

Im looking at the time of your post, 240AM...you didnt by some chance just get home from a game where you had indeed went on tilt did you?
Ok, but to answer this Q I do all the little reccomended things like just go take a break for a bit and try to relax A LOT and get my mind right again. Sometimes it matters what is making you go on tilt like is it another player who keeps grabbing your money river after river of the hands your involved in? Then I am switching tables cuz we have all seen the days (or nights) when a guy is just in the zone beyond all reach of the odds and reality which is a real killer for me to handle.
When you play middle limits there may be no other game which happens to me often enough and then I have to practice discipline which may be our toughest hurdle BUT you MUST if you want to be a really good player and so that may mean just packing it in for another night, in truth for me personally if I find myself getting emotionally involved "AT ALL" then I know Im headed for a bad space and I will pack it in till tommorow. Ive blown too many bankrolls by this stage in my life and I just refuse to break myself that way cuz I know another night Ill be just fine, when I blow a few G's and KNOW I should have left I get downright suicidal and Im not kidding! : )
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM

Every little bit helps! You are right though sometimes going home is just what you have to do.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:10 PM

Old 06-01-2005, 05:04 AM

Shouldn't you take out chips if you woulda won (obviously would need to be an estimate)? Only for the sake of fairness?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:15 PM

great method. i started using it, not with chips but with a tally and it definitely helps.

thanks alot.

--cheap
Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes it matters what is making you go on tilt like is it another player who keeps grabbing your money river after river of the hands your involved in? Then I am switching tables cuz we have all seen the days (or nights) when a guy is just in the zone beyond all reach of the odds and reality which is a real killer for me to handle.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you leave a table with a gigantic fish that completely relies on luck to win who will call you down to the river????

BRILLIANT!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:55 PM

Nice strategy. I think i am going to try that next time i play live.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM

While I think this is an interesting and neat strategy, I can't help but think of situations where a player (namely oneself) is on tilt, yet doesn't know it or doesn't feel like it!

I can see this happening with lots of players (even good ones) who go on tilt and if you had asked them at the time if they were on tilt, they would say no. Yet if you asked them in hindsight (say maybe days later) they would agree that they were on tilt.

So while I think this method is a great way to save money because it makes you as yourself "Am I on tilt?" and does potentially keep you from doing on tilt, it still cannot (and I am not postulating that I have a way of avoiding it) stop those who are in denial from going on tilt.
Good idea.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:54 AM

I'm glad to help [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Another thing you can do while playing online is keep dollar bills around. Keep four $1 bills, three $5 bills, and four $20 bills, and that should keep your "tilt pile" up to a maximum of $99, and throw in some $100 bills if you are in higher limits. But your otherwise clean fingers might soon start to stink of old dirty bills [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Might be good for beginners, but anyone else who plays more than one table might want to pass on that.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:46 AM

the answer is fruit plate