Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:26 PM

Default New to limit/ stats post

I started my poker career recently moved to Limit and moved up to 2/4 soon after. Too soon perhaps but i was beating .5/1 handily on party. 2/4 has been going well and i know this may seem a bit premature but i just want any glaring errors pointed out so i can dominate the game. This was all done 4 tabling 2/4 on party.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: New to limit/ stats post

Samplesize man, samplesize. How can it be so hard to understand that stats(posts) have 0 value if your samplesize is TOO SMALL!?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM

Small sample size, but a couple things. You're hella passive. You have low postflop aggression numbers, your PF raise is low, you fold you BB to a steal way too much.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 PM

you're way too passive. Defend BB more, complete SB more(any2 suited cards in multiway pots), steal blinds more, raise more preflop. Work on increasing your AF
Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 PM

be more aggressive.. (pre flop and post flop) I would suggest using poker tracker to look back at some key hands each session and completley analyze them... figure out if you played it correctly.. figure out how you can be more aggressive.. if your not sure post it. This will help you dominate the game. 7K hands is nothing.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:52 PM

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I feel like I can help you put your first 7,500 hands into perspective. After my first 7,500 hands I had a winrate of 3.5BB/100 hands and on top of the world. I couldn't stop thinking about how easy the money was and how I was going to be making $500/week doing something I loved to do, playing poker.

Now, only a week later, and after a 100BB downswing, my winrate is a little less than 1BB/100 hands. I used to read the downswing posts here talking about 100BB downswings and think they must happen rarely and be on the extreme side of variation. I was wrong in that assumption.

I think my winrate is probably somewhere in the middle of 3.5 and 1, but who knows where. My stats look very similar to yours, except my AF is around 2 without preflop, and 1.33 with. I defend my blinds more often, but probably not very efficiently.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at somepoint, probably not too far off, you are going to hit a downswing, and it will likely bring your winrate way down temporarily. At 7,500 hands, after one bad session it could be cut in half.

Good luck though, and when you do hit the skids, don't get too discouraged, bad runs happen to everyone.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:52 PM

thanks for the tips. sorry for the stupid post with small sample size. i'll remake once i hit 20k hands? is that acceptable? I just got poker tracker today and got a lil ahead of myself.

I've been using the guidelines in SSHE for tight games for hand selection PF. I suppose this is making me to passive. Would the loose game guidelines improve my play? Or do i need a whole different set of guidelines.

Again, thanks for what tips i've recieved and sorry for the post w/o a good sample.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Check out this post...

-d
Old 06-01-2005, 02:12 PM

The more you play, the more you'll realize how huge the variance is in thie wonderful game.

Pick the right tables, hold your discipline, and make the right decisions, and the results will take care of themselves ^_^
Old 06-01-2005, 02:33 PM

I really believe that in these loose low limit games you can be looser. I would think that you could probably have a VP$P around 20(give/take). Depending on where you think you are at in your poker game. Just don't fall into the trap of becoming too loose.