Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Does Anybody Play from a cel phone on pokerroom?

I've pretty much given up on playing on my cell phone - at least on Pokerroom. I switched cell phone providers recently and actively tried to get a phone that was on their "list", but the store I bought from did not have any. So I bought a Nokia N-Gage QD, which is designed to play games so I thought it would work just fine - problem is, Pokerroom has a block on the download site that will not allow you to download the client via WAP/SMS if your phone is not on the "approved list".

Their technical help has been pretty much useless. They directed me to the Mobile Poker Trainer, which had the same block on the WAP download. Well, there is an option for the TRAINER to have the .jar and .jad files emailed to you, so I did this and just used my bluetooth connection to get the files on my phone, and of course, the TRAINER works perfectly.

But, I've been trying for 3 freaking weeks now to get Pokerroom support to email me the files I need to run the REAL Mobile Poker client, but my emails continue to go unanswered. If they would just email me the files, technically I should be able to bluetooth the files to my phone and hopefully I should be ready to go.

As far as the data transfer rates - I just added the unlimited internet option to my rate plan which was only a few bucks a month. Hopefully that is all I need if I ever actually get it working.

I thought I read recently that another site network, maybe crypto or prima I don't remember, were changing software providers for their main rooms, but included in the software changes was going to be an option for cell-phone poker. Does anyone remember who that was?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:04 AM

Does your route take you through any tunnels or deep valleys?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know that, too. I've been considering buying a new phone for this myself. Wouldn't want to waste my precious time on the bus ride to and from school looking out the window at the beautiful scenery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the network charges from your mobile service provider make this extremely -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I can cover the $5/month.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I can cover the $5/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5.00? Is that all?

Interesting. I was under the impression it would be more costly.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 PM

I also bought the Razr v3, and had the exact same problem. I sent them 5 e-mails and they were not very helpful. I returned the phone, but was thinking about getting one of the Nokias.

Also, Cingular has unlimited internet access for $19/month
Old 06-02-2005, 01:38 AM

Same problem with my new Razr V3. Anybody on Cingular actually have a phone model that works. I'd like to know since I still have three weeks to exchange mine.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I returned the phone, but was thinking about getting one of the Nokias.

[/ QUOTE ]
I carried a friend's 6620 around for a few hours since he had warned me about the phone. Try to do the same, or find a place that'll allow you to return it, so you can check it out for a while -- that phone is gargantuan. Especially compared to the Razr v3. After two small phones in a row, I don't think I'm going to be able to carry something that big around any more.

Oh, and the OS is pretty craptastic too, but that could be a matter of personal preference.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
I returned the phone, but was thinking about getting one of the Nokias.

I carried a friend's 6620 around for a few hours since he had warned me about the phone. Try to do the same, or find a place that'll allow you to return it, so you can check it out for a while -- that phone is gargantuan. Especially compared to the Razr v3. After two small phones in a row, I don't think I'm going to be able to carry something that big around any more.

Oh, and the OS is pretty craptastic too, but that could be a matter of personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

so did it work for proom?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so did it work for proom?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, didn't try. I didn't want to clutter his SMS inbox and download software on to the phone he was letting me "evaluate" while we were both at work one day.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 AM

An amusing coda -- just this morning (several weeks after my last email, and at least two weeks since I returned the phone), PokerRoom support wrote back to me and said:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi [Tapin],

I am getting back to you on the issue of using your Motorola RAZR V3. I've talked directly with the head developer of the Mobile Poker game who assures me that there is no problem with this type of telephone using our software in the on-line mode.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, good. That must mean that the several people in this thread must have just been imagining it. I feel much better now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]