Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Animal Based Diet - Very Unhealthy

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg I've read about this idea of vegeterians needing to mix vegetables carefully to get the right sort of proteins but it sounds like pseudo-science to me. What do you base this on?

Americans eat 15-16% of their calories in protein, the recommended allownace is 10% (though some give it much higher), and the amount you actually need based on science to replace the protein you lose in your body is 6%. That's what Chinese eat, about 6% protein from mostly vegetables and they don't think much about mixing things up to get the right proteins. The obvious response of course is that their diet coincidentally coincides with the right mixing to get hte right proteins... but what is more likely, this, or all vegetables proteins are fine and this is idea of animal proteins being better and vegetables proteins needing to be mixed carefully is a myth?

One more thing, I found this VERY interesting. Different sorts of proteins were tested on rats to find out which ones were "better." Animal proteins made rats grow the fastest and ever since they have been referred to as the best kind of protein. They are not the best because they are healthiest, just because they induce fast growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing even remotely pseudo-scientific about it. It's actually more than a little preposterous that you would even think it, much less suggest it. You need to read a little more. No, a lot more.

That vegetables tend to be very strong in some proteins and completely lacking or very low in others is just simple fact. There's not a responsible nutritionist on the planet, or responsible guide to vegetarianism, that will tell you any different. Really, that's the way food works in general, so I don't see how it could be surprising to you. Meat is actually the exception, when it comes to protein, because its protein tends to be pretty balanced; eggs even more so.

Everything else offers different shares of different nutrients, and vegetables are no different. There are certain combinations of grains and vegetables that work well to balance protein -- red beans and rice, as I recall, is one of them, a traditional food mix that pans out health-wise. I'm not sure how flawless it is, but from my memory, it covers a lot of the bases.

Vegetarians use legumes in a lot of meals to get their proteins, and particular ones combine with particular grains especially well to make up for each others' special shortcomings. Of course, you don't want to eat the same thing each day, so a responsible vegetarian learns about the different combos so he can stay healthy while still having some variety.

Or, alternatively, tofu is also a very high protein source that from my understanding can take care of that problem all by itself.

Anyway, go read for yourself. At least before you go postulating as pseudo-science what's one of the best known things about vegetarianism and nutrition and not by any stretch of the imagination even slightly in question.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, take this past Wednesday for example. I worked eleven hours with no lunch. I drove about 120 miles averaging less than 30MPH, loading a total of 5,600 lbs of boxes into my box truck, with busted air conditioning. At 7AM I pick up a 24 ounce Diet Rockstar, two muffins, a gallon of water and a pack of smokes.

When I get back to the office at 6PM, mentally and physically exhausted, and covered in dust, and NEED something to eat, you think that a garden salad with some sprouts and an avocado is going to do the trick?

Seriously dude, you're 19 and still in school. Please don't go around preaching to people about their lifestyles. It is very insulting. Try living in the real world for a little while first.

I appreciated the original post. Information is good, for if I ever need it. But the ensuing debate, what are you trying to accomplish? You are never ever ever going to stop somebody from doing something that they want to do (unless you are able to threaten their life or freedom forceably). So yeah, thanks for the info, but please stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "real world?" What a cop-out.

If you're going to make lifestyle choices, just do it. Don't make yourself a victim because of it or say that because someone is 19 he "can't understand" why you stuff a Big Mac down your face or whatever. You're not any closer to the "real world" for making decisions and then denying you had the free will to decide something else.

Tbat's not maturity; again, it's just a self-justifying cop-out.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing even remotely pseudo-scientific about it. It's actually more than a little preposterous that you would even think it, much less suggest it. You need to read a little more. No, a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply put, there is a reason you cant buy vegetable protein powder at GNC. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an interesting statistic which I had to read a few times because it is so amazing. In a couple provinces in China, Sichuan and some other place like Guinshzio, with a populaiton of 220,000+, in a period of 3 years in the 70's there was not single case of coronary heart disease

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did this data come from? The Chinese government? I question this data because the Chinese are infamous for grossly understating everything from the number of people killed by a damn failure to the number of SARS cases... Not a very reliable source by any standards.

my .02

Mars

PS. To quote Homor Simpson, "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat"
Old 06-01-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eat me. I'm a tasty and robust source of protein.

Grilled, roasted, baked, fried, smoked, or broiled, it doesn't matter. And I go good with beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you. So juicy and tasty, so many ways to prepare you..you are the perfect animal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget his other nice qualities. Slow of foot, docile, and easy to slaughter. These are all qualities I appreciate!

[/ QUOTE ]

How could I forget those! Im so glad God made cows out of meat..
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eat me. I'm a tasty and robust source of protein.

Grilled, roasted, baked, fried, smoked, or broiled, it doesn't matter. And I go good with beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you. So juicy and tasty, so many ways to prepare you..you are the perfect animal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget his other nice qualities. Slow of foot, docile, and easy to slaughter. These are all qualities I appreciate!

[/ QUOTE ]

How could I forget those! Im so glad God made cows out of meat..

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the love guys. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MOOOOOO!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you followed that link I put up and read the 2nd review on amazon you would see that the author and many highly credible scientists support the ideas in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you operating under the assumption that scientists begin a study with no bias and simply want to find out what happens within a controlled environment? I hope you are not that naive. Scientists typically have an outcome in mind at the beginning of a study and search high and low for any data that will support their bias while tossing any data that contradicts that bias. It is very simple to find "highly credible scientists" who share the same bias who will support their findings.

I love college freshmen.... out in the real world and so eager to save us from ourselves.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh btw masked man, no human was ever eaten by a dinosaur. you are becoming a part of your netflix.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could you possibly know this?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As soon as I have some good ribs, I'll like them.

[/ QUOTE ]

When yopu get back down to Florida, let me know. I smoked some ribs Sunday. Home made rub from my Dad's BBQ restaurant recipe. A little Stubbs sauce. They were awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your dad owns a BBQ joint? Jake is becoming my favorite poster on OOT.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your dad owns a BBQ joint? Jake is becoming my favorite poster on OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

He used to... In Richmond Texas. It was called Firpo's. He retired and it's been closed for a few years now. I know I'm biased but it was the best I ever had.